2013 Txtr Clutch/gear Selector Removal.

fastbelly

Hi all. My chain came off and seems to have bent the gear selector shaft. Gearbox still works but the lever sticks in a downwards position so it has to be lifted up to select the next gear. I believe it to be bent so I am removing the shaft to replace or straighten it. I am told this can be done on this model by removing the clutch housing and clutch. I have the housing off now and I am confronted by the star headed bolts that secure the pressure plate. Can anyone advise me what type and size they are so that I can buy an appropriate socket.

Many thanks. Glenn

Hi, thanks to all. Yup it was a torx bolt. Clutch off. The shaft knocked out, breaking the Top hat tab thing off! Shaft bent to buggery. New shaft £118 and top hat thingy £40 on order. Ouch! Not cheap! Should come tomorrow so I can put it back together. 

Bugger. When reassembling I noticed that it was not actually a torx bolt but an allen bolt. It was a little chewed up from when I took it out using a torx drive. So I had a good look through my assorted bolts and found one the same size and fitted that. All back together now and working a treat. I have just been in my workshop and had a look at the bolt that came out and yes, it does indeed have a hole through it! Bugger bugger bugger! How did I not notice that! 

I guess it will have to come apart again! 

Just spoke to John Lee mc's and they say the hole helps eliminate clutch drag, I presume you can a build up of oil under the slave piston. He says they have none in stock and are on back order but I won't do any harm riding it with my current installed bolt. Phew! I'll get one once they are in the mean time I can ride it.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.  

Certainly beats splitting the motor like the older ones! 

Edited by fastbelly

Just clean up the old one, lay the bike on its side and swap it over or just remove the bolt you have fitted and leave it out until you get the new one, 10 mins will have it done.

If you take it out and leave it out, remove the retaining washer as well!

Edited by jfc