Thinking About Starting, Need Some Advice

eli

Hi,

I have wanted to motoride trials for ages but it always seemed to hard to get started, I ride a bit of biketrial now. I have never ridden a motobike and am not sure what the best route is.

Should I do a cbt or a licence and learn to ride a normal motorbike for a year ? then get a trials bike and join a club ?

Or are there places that offer tuition / training to completely new riders?

I think there is a club near me I found on the ACU site (I live in bournemouth).

I have a car and a garage so I could maybe get a trailer?

any help at all is appreciated!

Welcome along.

I'd think a pretty low percentage of current trials riders hold a motorcycle licence as most trials run entirely on private land and don't use road work, so you have lots of opportunity without needing to ride on the road. As ever, best plan is to get in touch with one or two local clubs and get along to a trial or two to have a chat with regular riders and organisers about getting started in local events and the possibility of using practice areas (don't try using any land you think is OK until you've got advice in this way). You will also be able to see how people transport their bikes (trailers, vans or bike racks) so can get some ideas on that too.

Let us know how you get on and there'll be lots of advice available here once you get started.

There's plenty of easy events in your area, and a local place to practice, Sandpit Farm, near Sturminster Marshall. Just buy a cheap bike and go and play at a practice ground. 

Also come along to some local trials and watch some other riders, You could even help out as an observer, It's easy and someone will show you the ropes, you will pick it up quick, and most clubs pay between 10 and 15 down here for section observers.

There's lots of other beginners at trials so you won't feel out of place, Club trials down south are just about having a laugh anyway.

Dont waste your time with a cbt or bike license for the sole purpose of learning to ride offroad. One day on a trials bike will benefit your trials skills more than a years riding on the road. Heck i know guys who have ridden bikes for 30 years and they would struggle to ride a bike across a field!

Edited by faussy