Powder Coated Wheels

martinh

Thinking of getting my rims powder coated black. A mate was asking me a couple of questions about it to which I don't have the answer, so wonder if anyone can help?

1. Would the paint fill in the spoke holes on the rim, forcing you to drill the paint out?

2. Does the inside of the rim need to be done too, meaning that you have to change the rim tape?

Any advice on having rims powcer coated much appreciated.

Martin

I did think of anodising, as powder coating would chip, but wouldn't anodising scratch easily? I know Candy Wheels on ebay did anodising, but never see him advertising on their anymore. Has anyone else tried anodising? Is it up to the job of withstanding the ocasional bash?

Powder paint, if done well, is applied quite thin.

This keeps it from chipping.

A thick coat makes it more brittle.

When I have rims done, minor precautions keep them from chipping when installing/removing tires...bits of leather between the rim and lever.

If done correctly, spokes and rim tape should go right in.

If applied too thick, you'll be reaming each spoke hole with a drill bit.

Buy a pair of 06 wheels. I'm sure your local dealer would love to help you.

The cost of relacing your wheels and putting in new spokes would go along way to a new set of wheels complete and then you have spares.

No, candywheels strip the wheel down for you and re-build them, all in the price :lol:

I doubt they'll fit the rim tape! The point I was saying was that the wheels will need striping, who does it is immaterial, no need for the smarta*** answer! :P

wow steady boo font! heres there advert on ebay, says they strip and rebulid the wheels for ya! candy wheels