Ty200? Bike Identification / Value Help - Can't Find Another Like It!

windswept321

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice please.

I have a Yamaha, which has TY200 on the right hand side of it, currently in a somewhat neglected state as shown - it has been hanging in the garage for the past few years.

Does anyone know anything much about it? I can't find any other with a similar paint job etc.

I have been offered in the low hundreds (GBP) for it but feel that this might be on the low side...

Thanks for reading 

post-22013-0-98509100-1450272811_thumb.jpg

post-22013-0-61545400-1450272847_thumb.jpg

post-22013-0-58771900-1450272873_thumb.jpg

Yamaha made 125cc (56mm piston x 50mm stroke) and 175cc (66mm piston) with similar frames to yours, but didn't make 200cc's.

There were various people back in the day that converted the 175 to near 200cc.

The convertions involved relining the barrel of the 175 and sourcing a bigger piston of around 70mm which got you around 195cc or so.

The only way to really tell is remove the head and measure the bore/piston.

125 versions couldn't be converted so far out without the barrel falling apart.

There was also a version made by a french rider/engineer that reportedly made it out to 205cc, but that had a different head and you ain't got one of them, sorry.

My bet is yours is a standard 175cc engine and the frame looks standard too, and someone has modified to a "TY200" with a crayon on the exhaust gaurd, so as imexian writes, take the offer, it's probably worth a couple of hundred in parts, if they are all usable (which doesn't look likely).

Even if it is converted to 200 and is siezed or worn, it's useless as a 200 as the liner is so thin, rebores were virtually impossible.

With the first three digits of the frame/engine number, this should help identify yours, but most barrels are stamped with cc near the bottom (123cc or 171cc)

http://www.yamahaty.com/english/internat.html

• Like 1

It does not matter if its a 125,175 or a 200. What is important is how complete it is,does it have a logbook/v5 ? Show us some more photo's,tell us a bit more and you may even get an offer.Does the engine turn,how rusty are the forks etc.

Have a look on Ebay and see what there is there to compare. Most people looking for a TY175 to rebuild know exactly what they are looking for,and how expensive replacement parts can be. If it is a worn out,overbored 175 the barrel can be re-sleeved to whatever size you want it back to. 

• Like 1