Montesa 4Rt Starting Issue

gassa1

I am confused, the only thing I have disconnected at this point is the bank angle sensor.  I don't have anything else unplugged.  I am also wondering if maybe I had spark the hole time and just couldn't see it, and am also considering plugging the bank angle sensor back in and having the wife check for spark again... (got the wife to check when I was kicking it over.)

Edited by jonnyc21

I clipped this from someone's post:

If it takes more than 3 kicks or so to start, reset the ECU. This is from the 2014 or 2015 manual, right after the Contents page:
If you have problems starting your vehicle, follow the steps below:

1. Open the throttle all the way (100%) and hold.
2. Without releasing the throttle, operate the kick-starter once or twice.
3. Close the throttle and start your motorcycle as normal.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

I am confused, the only thing I have disconnected at this point is the bank angle sensor.  I don't have anything else unplugged.  I am also wondering if maybe I had spark the hole time and just couldn't see it, and am also considering plugging the bank angle sensor back in and having the wife check for spark again... (got the wife to check when I was kicking it over.)

Unless you've replaced the stock kill button with a lanyard kill, I'd reinstall the bank sensor. If you want to remove the bank sensor, you'll need to jump the outer contacts of the connector as others had said.

You could stick a fat wire in the plug cap, grab ahold, and give the bike a good kick. That should tell you if there's power to the plug.

• Like 1

Good thought but the bike wasn't upside down just fell far enough for me not to be able to pick it back up in time for it to stop running. I did check the air box just in case but maybe I should just pull it and the throttle body and give them both a good check and clean.

I figured out the issue.  

So it turns out I had 2 issue, and I think I know how I got both...

The first issue turned out to be my Bang Angle sensor, and was the cause of not having spark. When plugged in I get nothing, when bypassed I have spark.

The second issue turns out to have been caused by me pulling everything apart.  Not sure if it was the former owner but it turns out that when I pulled the plug to check the spark the wire to the fuel pump was wrapped around it and was tugged just a fraction out of its connector and as I had not removed the fuel tank I didn't even see it as a possible issue.  

After figuring out I did in fact have spark with the sensor bypassed I turned to possible fuel pump issues and so pulled the tank to check the pump.  So as I pulled the tank the connector almost fell apart just half removing the tank so I re-connected it and the bike started second kick.  

Thank you to everyone for your help.  

Great bunch of people here!   :thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 4