Importance Of Proper Suspension Spring Rate And Setup ?

undertheoaks3

Sorry I have to completely disagree with you on this. The reason it makes such a noticeable difference on MX or road race bikes is because you are making the bike suit you and you riding style and maintian grip. It's actually much easier to ride round a minor issue on a road race setup than it is on a trials bike. If the bikes kicking of obstacles you've got no grip or no steering. Loosing marks becomes very easy. Your riding on your own it's not like racing where cleaver tactics can keep people behind you!

Totally disagree with that,suspension is far more critical on a road race bike and infinitely more difficult to get right than on a trials bike.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one!

I've never had a problem getting a race bike to work properly. With one expection when it took about 3 weekends before we figured out the fork springs were shot.

Everyone involved with road racing knows the importance of correct setup, because of this there is a massive amount of information and a lot of people that actually know what there doing. Most bikes can be got to a point where they are better than there riders ability quite quickly.

It's also much more obvious when your riding against someone on track if there bike is performing better than yours.

This thread has highlighted how a lot of trials riders don't consider suspension settings at all. It seems there is a lot less knowledge amongst rides. So who do you turn to for advice?

Personally I think since your riding the section on your own it's much harder to judge how well your bike is working compared to others.

At the end of the day your final position in a trial is dictated by what happens riding on your own, if the bikes not working at its best and you lose points because of this there's nothing you can do about it. When your racing even if your bikes not working as well as people your racing with you can still beat them with cleaver racing.

To me it seems the basics are of most importance here, weigh yourself with your riding gear on and water tool etc, all that you would wear during an event and get the appropriate spring rate for your weight and go from there. That being said Im ordering new springs today.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one!

I've never had a problem getting a race bike to work properly. With one expection when it took about 3 weekends before we figured out the fork springs were shot.

Everyone involved with road racing knows the importance of correct setup, because of this there is a massive amount of information and a lot of people that actually know what there doing. Most bikes can be got to a point where they are better than there riders ability quite quickly.

It's also much more obvious when your riding against someone on track if there bike is performing better than yours.

This thread has highlighted how a lot of trials riders don't consider suspension settings at all. It seems there is a lot less knowledge amongst rides. So who do you turn to for advice?

Personally I think since your riding the section on your own it's much harder to judge how well your bike is working compared to others.

At the end of the day your final position in a trial is dictated by what happens riding on your own, if the bikes not working at its best and you lose points because of this there's nothing you can do about it. When your racing even if your bikes not working as well as people your racing with you can still beat them with cleaver racing.

You should offer your services to motoGP teams they spend millions trying to sort suspension out when you could do it easily.

• Like 1

I also ride enduro and MTB downhill and in my opinion suspension and bike setup is critical. I want to have it feel the exact way I want, clutch, throttle, brakes, suspension and tyres have to respond the way I like otherwise I find it harder to ride. For me it's like a custom suit

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered new springs and installed them and set sag, wow what a difference the bike seems to float over obstacles better, hopping the front wheel seems easier (even though I suck at it) and drop offs seem absorbed a lot easier as well, I went with both front and rear springs. I ordered them directly from Beta USA, both springs are one step stiffer then stock 8.0 rear and .88 front I weigh 195lbs, Happy Happy Happy !!

Edited by undertheoaks3
  • Like 2

These bikes are spring rate setup for 165 to 175 lb riders in stock form. Being 200 lbs I would suggest doing both the front and rear spring to the next up. Im a 200 lb rider with a factory 300 evo 2014, and eaven tho the bike worked good on stock springs, the upgrade helps the bike to work better under the weight. It also takes alot of the fatigue away from your boody, especially in the front. Beata offers the heavier springs for a reason,The cost is minimal and the feel is worth it

I am about 200lbs 92kg and have just ordered a stiffer spring for the rear - I had the feeling that it sagged too low even fully wound up on preload and changed the rake too much - seemed to want to push wide or slide while hopping.

I wonder if I am going to have to go to the trouble of front springs as well - although the front feels better.

Its  a 2015 scorpa 300.