New 4rt

gizza5

Well taken the plunge and ordered a new 4RT('06), yes a lot of money, but just fancy a 4 stroke :)

So the questions about what to change have been asked before, however that was fairly early on when they first came out.

So here we are a year on, the questions are probably the same, but are there any more:

What needs changing to make it better

What difference do the changes make

Was it worth changing etc. etc.

Hopefully not long now to wait, so it would be useful to know what to get when I pick it up

I haven't changed anything but the footrests. Put a set of hebos on

The clutch is definately a bit like an on off switch but to be honest i got used to it really quickly hardly touch it in sections and its one less thing for me to worry about. The 315 clutch lever / master cylinder assembly is larger than the 4rt holding more fluid and gives a more progressive feel to the clutch.Your dealer might change it for free at PDI as the 4rt one fits other makes so they should be able to sell it as a new unit.

My dealer removed the lights and the restrictors in the electrics for me. I've left the exhaust as is and it has plenty of power for me.

Everyone says change the gearing. JR Sunter said he left his as standard and again Al the Spanner at Whites said leave it as standard and see how you get on with it first. To be honest i find it spot on as is and some of the lads riding 4rt's have changed back to original gearing. The tickover is still at 1800 and i find that fine too. At the moment my only concern is the bike is giving me too much confidence and i feel i'm riding some things above my ability. The suspension is the best i've ridden even nicer than the Beta's front and back work together really well and soak up everything it really stays on line over rocks.

When you kick it over don't let the kickstart lever return on its own or it may cause some internal damage

Hope you get as much pleasure from yours as i am from mine

GIZZA5.

I,m in the same position as yourself I have an 06 4RT ordered and just counting the days to delivery :) As Windlestone says i also intend to leave mine totally standard and see how it goes , let's face it Mr Honda and Mr Monteasa spent a long enough developing the bike so it has to be fairly right :beer: ......Doesn't It !! Any way can't to find out . :(:o

Enjoy.

Windlestone.

Those HEBO footpegs you put on your 4RT , are they just replacement pegs or did you replace the footpeg hangers as well ? Heard some people were changing the hangers as well so it moved the peg back about 10mm .

I've had mine since february, so have had lotsa time to get a feel for the bike

changed clutch/master cylinder last week.....would not go back also changed the rear sproket to a 43..I love it!..makes the bike feel like my 315...more snappier ,quicker response...but I also liked it stock....so, only time will tell....may go back to stock ....this is all personal taste stuff of course...

let us know how you feel about the bike after a few hours .................masso

Windlestone.

Those HEBO footpegs you put on your 4RT , are they just replacement pegs or did you replace the footpeg hangers as well ? Heard some people were changing the hangers as well so it moved the peg back about 10mm .

Alan I have only replaced the footrests themselves left the hangers standard. I forgot to mention when i first got my bike i kept standing on the rear brake pedal while riding particularly after going up steps i have seen a pedal bent to ease the problem but for some reason it doesn't happen any more and i don't know what i've done :)

I've had excellent service from sandifords too so i'm really happy all round with the bike

Although all of the modifications mentioned for the 05 4RT are very beneficial to that model they may not be needed on the 06. The factory may have made some changes to the new model so that they are not needed. Try the new bike out before considering making the changes that helped the 05. You will really enjoy the 4RT in any case. :)

Although I got my 4rt just at the end of August, I've done a number of modifications. The dealer removed the front and middle restrictors, the power seems fine and the sound acceptable, also I've tried both a 43t and 44t rear sprocket. I prefer the 44t. I put a Mitani skid plate on, it is thicker and more durable and the stock bent early on. For the clutch I ground down the actuator as suggested, but also use ARC levers (https://secure.rypusa.com/catpage.cfm?cat_selected=133) which are far more adjustable and durable. I also installed Mitani peg mounts which I thought would move the pegs back some, but actually are located exactly in the same location as stock, although they are far beefier. Since I bent one of the stock mounts on a light get off, the extra strength is appreciated. I replaced the brake lever with the shorter and more tucked in Mitani unit, less leverage for sure so it is a mixed bag... it is out of the way though. I also bought a 315 top triple clamp and the put Renthal fatbars and clamps on, no performance difference, but far less prone to bending. Finally, what I think was the most significant improvement to the bike was installing the JPEG extra wide footpegs that mount 3/4" further back (https://secure.rypusa.com/catpage.cfm?cat_selected=116). This helped the bike in so many ways, increasing traction in mud etc. as well as lightening the front end up. I don't mean to imply that the bike needs all these mods or any for that matter, as others have stated they love their bikes box stock. Ultimately getting your bike set up is a highly personal endeavour, and I found that each of the above changes improved the bike for me a little bit. I know you'll love your 4rt, ride it for awhile and then tweak it as you see fit to get the bike precisely the way you like.

Regards,

Wardo

but that will be ideal for what you want her for Gizza  send her on.

Yep, that's about right. One crazy Spaniard on a 4RT passed us on the road leaving Craig Lundie last year, he must have been doing 70mph!!

I tend to nurse the bike round the SSDT no prizes for siezing the old girl up on the road, as that only leads to :crying::crying:

I ride everything in 1st gear in Scotland, having gone up one tooth on the front on the Beta, so if it is slightly high geared and I can cope with it then I will leave the gearing alone.

Not sure whether 2 litres of fuel is enough across the moors, as we don't carry any :D<_< it's against the rules :D:D