Hello, My Name Is Pit

pitshort

Hello!

Thought I'd better introduce myself before diving in with the questions.

I've been looking at this site for the last few weeks and I've already found it to be a great resource, thanks guys!

So, I'm interested in getting into trials riding. I haven't got a trials bike yet, but I have found a local club, and have talked to a couple of the members who were very helpful. I'm going to attend their next event at the start of March, before I pull the trigger and buy a bike, but I'm pretty much sold on the idea already.

Other info, I'm from Ireland, I'm 34, and I've been riding an on-road motorcycle for the last year and a half.

I want to get into trials because it looks like great fun. I've always wanted to do it. I'm looking forward to learning new skills and improving over time.

I also think it would be a better direction for my interest in motorcycling. Presently I go for long rides at the weekend and I've noticed that I'm going faster than I did before, overtaking more cars etc. It's also not that interesting riding on tarmac for mile after mile. So, I think it's a good idea to re-direct myself offroad, away from cars, and other road hazards. I also like the outdoors, and I'm looking forward to an open faced helmet and the smells of trees and mud, rather than the roar of the wind buffeting my visor!

So, that's a basic introduction to me.

All the best,

Pit.

• Like 2

Welcome to an alternative world of escapism.

It's a great distraction from everyday hassles.

Like you, I used to find road riding a bit boring with nothing to aim for, whereas this takes all the concentration my feeble brain can manage.

Get started, learn the basics, enter a trial and you won't look back. Good luck.

• Like 1

Pit shorts? I used to wear them for a living..... :hyper:

On the coal mining theme, anyone above a certain age will remember the Dunlop Trials boots, they were steel toe capped 'wellies' with finning on, an internal steel sole support and a good tread pattern to them. The NCB in the day supplied them to us as work wellies.... the chap in the stores at Whitwell Pit used to be amazed at how many pairs I wore out, if he'd gone to a trial in our area in the mid '70's he'd have seen quite a few pairs......

Happy days.....

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Everyone I've talked to in the trials community have been really nice and encouraging.

Spen, that's uncanny, guess I'll have to accept that I was fated to take up trials! Either that or change my user name :)

Sirdabalot, Bif. Thanks, I'm looking forward to the learning process, and the fact that it will take my full concentration. Mind you, I only have so much concentration, and its pretty much fully utilised in staring at a blank wall :)

Enrico, I'm from Cork in the south. :irish:  There is certainly some fantastic terrain down here. There's some particularly nice rocky areas to both the west and east of Cork which I'd love to have a go at in time. Although I'd need to learn a thing or two first. I'm not sure what the story with land access/use is yet, but the clubs here seem to be able to get access to run events frequently enough, so they must have an understanding of sorts with the some land owners.

Anyhow, there seems to be solid bike community here, so I'm hoping they'll let me know the good spots to go for a quiet spin, once they get to know me (and sus out that I'm not a nutter who'll ruin it for the rest of them!).

They've already let me know of one spot, which I had a look at last weekend. About 30 mins away from me (15 of those navigating single track roads), so it's nice and quiet, apart from a few fishermen, who I'll stay clear of. A nice spot, that I'll be happy with, and that's enought to start.

Pit (aka Wellies!)

• Like 1

Spen was it the soles you wore out with footing in them sections !!!!!

In my day m8 it was fishermens white socks turned over the top of the boots,

Hope things r good,

Pit welcome this is the place to be,

& yes Cork is wonderfull I spent 30 years in Co Louth but came back to uk just before the Crash 10 years ago,

Good luck mate.

Edited by johnboy999
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...