Rear Suspension On 4Rt Question

sherpated

Hallo guys, I have just aquired a repsol 4rt from 2006. Its in sound condition and I have been out on it a couple of times now. I am so happy for it and having lots of fun. I regard my skils as clubman/intermediate and weigh 80kg. I have decided to start tweaking the suspension to get a faster rebound, especially on the back ,where I found it quite slow and un-responsive. I found out it was screwed right in on the highest rebound setting...but didnt really take much notice of the shock itself. It wasnt until I thought of adjusting the preload today that I noticed it has an orange spring with TRP 75-150 written on it. This has got me doubting if it has a Showa shock at all. can anyone help with identifying this spring, and enlighten a noob? (The rebound screw on the top of the shock ,under the seat is orange anodised )

TRP makes a stiffer spring to fit the Showa shock, and it's orange. I have one on my bike, but it's marked "56.5 - 136 / 73.5".

If you don't have the purple adjusting dial as in the above photo, it may be a TRP shock.

Edited by sportsawyer

Make sure you get the shock set up correctly (sag) range, if you can't you may need to change the spring for your specific weight. Adjust the damping setting on the rebound. If it is a TRP shock and not just a TRP spring on the TRP the rebound adjuster is on the end of the shock with the rod it is the knurled coller that rotates. If your shock is mounted with the rod facing up then the adjuster is on that end but normally the shock is run "upside down" ("body up" )and the adjuster would be on the downward end.

The screw is for refilling nitrogen.

The TRP is a great shock and is also fully rebuildable.

Yep seems to be a TRP shock I have. Thats good to hear its a good alternative to the Showa! Thanks Beta_Blocker for the pic, and confirming that :) The info on the spring says 75-150, I think its for an 80 kg+ rider, which is a harder spring than standard. I weigh abought that ,but not over. The preload is wound about half way. Should I undo it to take full advantage of the full spring length or will measuring the sag determine that? Looking forward to the weekend for some testing :)

post-20002-0-08791100-1460492859_thumb.jpg

Edited by sherpated

You're welcome

Their is a great article in Trial &Enduro News (now On The Pegs) that discribes how to set sag and actually a comparison of the stock Beta shock and the TRP shock.

I've found the percentages they used to work well for me.

https://www.joomag.com/magazine/trials-enduro-news-december-2014-volume-49-issue-12/0716551001416757092?page=61

• Like 2