06 Gas Gas Problem!

jools

Hi,

Last week i bought a brand new 06 300. Got it home, first thing i did was check that it started! it did so.. ok. Took the lighting loom off it, put a new kill button on it and went out the next day to run it in, it was fine all day, started first kick, ran perfect.

Since then, something has gone wrong.

I cleaned it all up, did the usual Gas Gas mods like silicon everything up etc. went to start it yesterday, the engine was just turning. took the plug out and checked for a spark... nothing!

took the flywheel off, checked the airgap between the flywheel and the pick-up and its spot on. Woodruff key is ok. Flywheel is clean and dry. put it back on correctly, still no spark!

Took the aftermarket (yam style) kill button off and even put all the wiring loom back on, correctly... guess what, no spark. :)

i've done all the dopey stuff like new plugs etc. Anyone any ideas? I was hoping to ride it tomoz but this aint likely. Also i think the dealer is shut til tuesday.

Any thoughts appreciated, Jools :D

hi, just read about your problem.

My new 2006 gasgas did the same thing.

i found that 1 of the wires that go into the CDI unit up under the top of the tank had cum loose.

pushed it back in untill it clicked into place, put it all back together and it started nd ran fine. :)

I have been looking for a spark with the tank off!

i've even gone as far as to replace all the wiring loom inc. lights, indicators. No wires are being pinched, all the connections are tight :) Starting to loose the plot with it already.

I phoned a mate of mine yesterday and he had a 125 that the whole ignition system went. the difference is though, his bike did not start at all from new and i've been riding this one around for hours.

:D baffled! Cheers.

Hi Jools,

Maybe this is a long shot, but I found that the tank screw was too long and was scrapping on the CDI unit, making a nasty mark. Surely, if I had rode the bike in that condition, the screw could make some real damage. The CDI is only fixed with a very soft plate, allowing lot of movement and vibrations.

I fitted a rubber block (silent-block) between the CDI and the screw of the HT coil to definetively fix the thing.

Cheers, JM.

Ah! one more thought: sorry for the evident, but... are you sure about the wire to ground for killing the engine?

If you used other wire, may be you're killing the engine forcing the CDI o other unit, leading to a fail in one of these in few hours.

Take a look at the wiring loom: the colour codes change in almost every plug :) I can hardly remember that the kill-wire come out the CDI as a two-colour code.

Cheers, JM

hi, I maybe have the answer to your prob, the chunkie cdi plug that has all the wiring out of it, one of the pins our loose, its looks like its in but you need to check them all, i'll guarentee that is at fault. Had the same situation, started fter loom off, fan ok etc, then after i put it all in the frame, sealed up etc, no go!! loads of p***ing about later, sussed it.Try it i think this is how to sort it.

Good Luck.

Ian.

Thankyou very much for all your replies! much appreciated.

It is now fixed :D

took it back on tuesday and he started work on it thursday AM and it was done that afternoon. turned out it managed to short itself when the wiring loom came off :ph34r:. a replaced wire later, it was fine.

One thing though, he said it was an absolute b***ard to start. could not get it going (After it was producing a spark) and ended up having to pour petrol down the plughole. I found that when you try to start it from stone cold, it takes about 20 kicks to get it fired, after that, it's first kick everytime. come to think of it.. the old one was like that for a while.

At least it fixed, thanks again for your replies.

Jools

Thankyou very much for all your replies! much appreciated.

It is now fixed  :o

took it back on tuesday and he started work on it thursday AM and it was done that afternoon. turned out it managed to short itself when the wiring loom came off  :ph34r:.  a replaced wire later, it was fine.

One thing though, he said it was an absolute b***ard to start. could not get it going (After it was producing a spark) and ended up having to pour petrol down the plughole. I found that when you try to start it from stone cold, it takes about 20 kicks to get it fired, after that, it's first kick everytime. come to think of it.. the old one was like that for a while.

At least it fixed, thanks again for your replies.

Jools

Did I read this wrong or did a dealer return a new bike to you and tell you it was difficult to start ???? :D