Yamaha Ty175 Swing Arm Extension

yam175

Hi has anyone a step by step guide to fitting swing arm extensions on my ty175,like the ones shedworks sell.

If you are talking about the weld-on extensions, I posted such a thing years ago and will look for the photos. In the mean-time, a brief sequence of events so you can decide if the job is for you;

Remove the swingarm

Cut off the first axle plate at the correct location and angle

Prepare the first side for welding. I used double vee butt welds and manual arc

Weld the first extension piece on

Make a dummy spacer to replace the wheel, spacers, brake plate etc

Fit the axle and spacer to hold the second extension piece in position

Prepare the second side for welding, using the axle to make sure that the second extension plate is in the right spot to make the axle slots the same height, parallel with each other and the same distance from the swingarm pivot axle

Tack weld the second extension in place

Check everything is aligned properly

Finish the welding

Dress the welds back flat

Make a longer brake tension link

Extend the side stand a bit

Move the brake arm forwards on its splines, or make a longer brake rod

Bend the rear frame loop upwards a bit to miss the tyre on full compression

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 1

what is the lenght of standard swing ar/m,i would like to measure mine to see if it's been done

You can tell if this mod has been done without measuring by looking at the position of the axle slot relative to the shock mounts. I moved the slot 45mm rearwards and followed the same line as the old slots (not higher or lower). It is fairly obvious in my photos (above)

A friend of mine did a similar mod but moved the slot less rearwards, and 5mm downwards

My friends bike (175cc with the shorter extension (35mm I think) and 5mm lower axle slot) has the standard frame loop and feels lovely to ride, slightly more stable than standard. I'll see if I can find a photo of his bike

Mine is 205cc and 45mm extension and is also very nice (more stable than standard)

Photo of friends bike attached. Note his bike has non-standard fork tubes (much longer than standard)

post-325-0-88214900-1474236511_thumb.jpg

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 2

I think there are new aftermarket tubes available from the US and the price is pretty much the same as getting the originals redone. Those tubes on Greg's bike came from a different bike that had 30mm tubes. From memory they might be from a CR80. I have seen other TY175s with shortened tubes from 80cc MX bikes. Early DT100,125 and 175 and early Yamaha AG bikes had 30mm tubes too, but because they are just as old as TY175 tubes it is rare to find good ones.

Last time I had a set done (in Brisbane) they were $150 per tube plus postage, but it has probably gone up since then

• Like 1

is it possible to still get new stanchions for the ty....mine are rooted and getting them hard chromed and ground over here in N.Z. is foooookin hard work and expensive.......unless someone can inform me different.

Bashplate try Dynasurf Sandbach UK, they do a really good job. I imagine because you are in NZ you would not be charged our vat which is 20%

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1