'09 Sherco 320 4T Rebuild Blog

proper

On 21 February 2017 at 6:07 AM, proper said:

Edit:

The new roller bearing will be mounted on a new shaft, welded in.  

Hi there have the same problem with my exhaust rocker (same bike 2011) do you have any info on the size of bearing and shaft  

I haven't come around removing the cam needle bearing axle. First thought was to drill it out, but I'll try to just grind away the welds, and try to press to axle out, saving me the work to source a new shaft. Bearing dimensions appear to be 7mm shaft, 16mm Outer diameter, 6mm width.

Bear (...) with me: A quick search did not reveil any replacement bearing. Unobtainium?

Hopefully there's some designation left on the old bearing.

Edited by proper

There's an update on the valves too. I increased compression force on the Clamp way beyond my comfort zone, and the half bits popped loose from the stem, covering half the workshop floor. Retrieved both. (Pfew!!!)

There's quite some carbon deposits on the valves. Mating surfaces also have spots of carbon. Time for some valve lapping...

On 26 February 2017 at 2:46 PM, Ralphy said:

Hi there sherco sell the whole rocker arm at two hundred Aus dollars just seems a little expensive for what it is especially for what looks like could be a common problem

Have been to two bearing suppliers today both informed me it's a special made for the bike , by sherco or for sherco it's a shame they could not make the bearing easily replaceable instead of buying the whole rocker arm looks like a common problem but only on the exhaust side ,maybe something to do with decompression 

I've grinded the welds on the rocker arm, but haven't been able to get the shaft out. Need the big bench press. 

Got all the valves out. I found out my compression clamp works fine, but the half nuts seem to stick on the stem. A tap with the hammer before compression helps a lot.

The head and valves have been cleaned of carbon deposits using ordinary paint stripper. This stuff works wonders on carbon, and doesn't eat the steel.

Before:

IMG_20170301_223434274_zpsezxiofqp.jpg

IMG_20170301_223506339_zpszvgoplih.jpg

After:

IMG_20170301_234912540_zpsfsozj2fz.jpg

IMG_20170301_231356036_zpsdsivrgqa.jpg

I needs another go, tomorrow. The exhaust valves have thick deposits, needing multiple treatments.

Cleaned the exhaust valves using a wire wheel on the Dremel:

IMG_20170303_222708860_zpsi7fisszh.jpg

IMG_20170303_222725276_zps5adeg3ma.jpg

Cleaned the ports using the same method:

IMG_20170303_222737325_zpsulgntvce.jpg

IMG_20170303_222813681_zpss4xio68j.jpg

Lapped the valves:

IMG_20170303_223924383_zpswdyrwlni.jpg 

The valves and springs are back in.  

Edited by proper

Cool to see your blog. This is my old bike, good to see it's still alive. 

Owned it between 2008 - 2010. (It's a 2008 model, not 2009 btw) If you want any info about it, just ask. The bike has quite some history and did back then a lot of small mods to improve the bike. 

Edit: Yes, I changed the carb after a few months to a sps version. Trottle response is so much better with the SPS carb, compared to the normal version. 

Edited by lars1990

What can I say? Welcome! It's a small, small world. 

Thanks for acknowledging the model year! We were right after all about the SPS mods.

So far no questions. I'm going steady but slow. No need to rush. 

Received the M31x1 machine tap. Looks like a good quality item.

IMG_20170316_195212928_zpspb2zqrsk.jpg

Here's the disassembled exhaust rocker. Pressed the shaft right out.

Shaft diameter: 6,4mm

Needle diameter: 1,4mm

Roller inner diameter: 9,4mm

The shaft is the only part showing signs of wear. And that wear is on one side only. 

IMG_20170316_200400907_zpsqdoaw5hs.jpg

IMG_20170316_200343828_zpsppk8iora.jpg