05 300 Ignition Change

sherpa325

Take the tank off and look at the ignition unit. There is a male and female ended wire both left disconnected. Connect these together and that is the more aggressive setting. However it does not kick in until 8k so you only notice it when you are nailing up a step or huge bank flat out. For real resuls fit a keihin carb. Much better bottom end and then all the poke you need higher up the rev range.

:D

Not sure about the Ducati system. I thought that was only for the Raga rep's. I did as explained above to my 05 280 Pro. At the end of the day is it really worth messing around with a laptop when it wont actually make hardly any difference? However it would be quite good fun playing around with different settings. :D

Sherpa, yes the 300 uses a different ignition than the 280. The 300 is a programmable unit from Ducati, as opposed to the dual map unit on the 280. Jools nailed it, you need a laptop, the disk and the special module to make changes. Have a hunt around for a dealer who has the kit, not worth buying yourself for most. Make sure he has the "updated" software too, as the 2004 software doesn't work on the 2005...even though it's "supposed" to be the same ignition. :rolleyes:

The dual map came on the 2005 250/280s. It's a matter of an extra pair of wires coming out of the CDI that can be connected to form one curve, and disconnected for a second. Many dealers installed switches so it was operational by the rider without taking the tank off. 2006 models have the same setup only the switch is now factory installed...or so I'm told, haven't seen an 2006 in person just yet.

I'v not tried the two maps personally as I rode a 300 this year. I'm told the difference is subtle, but noticable. The intension was to have one map softer and less aggressive in power delivery, while the other is sharper for grippier conditions or expert riders. There's been some discussion on it around here earlier in the year, might try a search.