Give Me Your Thoughts On 250 Pro Vs 280/300

motomax

I hear that 90% of all UK riders prefer the 250 Pro over the 280 or 300. I am an advanced level rider, having owned both an 04 280 and an 04 300 Raga. For 06, I have decided to go with a 250. I like the idea of a smaller piston (less surge) and would like some input on how well the 250 works in low traction conditions. New England events are often very wet and my 300 was a handful at times. I welcome your input. BTW, anyone looking for a pristine 300 RAGA?

Just my personal thoughts about the 250-300 question.

I tried both the '06 250 and 300 back to back recently and found the 250 to be far easier to ride.

I am not an advanced level rider, but would describe myself as an average clubman, but I can honestly say - for me- I would loose a lot more marks on the more powerful machine.

That said; I also tried the 290 Sherco and that was so forgiving in the low to mid range that I could ride that ok. So the big engine thing has a degree of perception.

Hey Max :unsure: I've also tried all three displacements back to back and agree that the 250 is more forgiving, particularly in slippery conditions for me. If you remember the guy that came to RI with me this summer, a very good expert level rider. He always tells me that the 250 is the best Pro. Even at his level he says the power of the 280 and 300 make it too easy to break traction at the rear tire if not very careful, but the 250 is just soft enough on the bottom to minimize this

That said, I still LOVE the grunt of the 300 and won't be giving it up just yet myself :rolleyes: I don't get to do many events anyways, so 95% of my riding is playing and the 300 is just SOOO much fun.

Hey Joe, thanks for your input. I agree that the 300 is more fun to play on. Especially hills, the thing climbs anything when traction is good. My throttle control needs improvement. I break traction too easily with the 300. I run a slow throttle and a head spacer and the thing still rips! Bruce LeRiche rode my bike this past weekend and even he said the thing was a handful. I just ordered a 250, looking forward to giving it a go. Hope to see you at some NETA events next year. Bring your friend with you also. He's a terrific rider.

:lol: I've got 4 mates ( no-really!)who ride gassers...two have 280 pro's one of them a '05 the other a'04 ,they are a real handful as far as grip is concerned .. virtually unusable at my level of riding (rookie clubman).One other riding buddy has a 250 pro'05... this is less prone to spin up or rear up at you.. much more user friendly.

Buddy no.4 has a 300pro'06 which I haven't ridden yet - i've been crocked- and he's put a keihn on it (too wild man!),he says the torque catches you out especially when you are tired :rolleyes: There you have it..just an opinion :unsure:

So if someone put a gun to my head and said ''pick a gasser'' you know which one I would go for :)

All that said, the 300 is much mellower than the 280. The 300 still makes a good clubman bike with it's big torque and softer "hit". Alot depends on the conditions you ride I suppose. I try my best to avoid mud. In the dry the 300 torque is sweet and very controllable. Even in muddy conditions I find the 300 easier to control than the 280. I'm sure you'll like the 250 motomax, but still lust for the 300 from time to time ;)

Spot on Joe,

The 300 is fine for dry riding, in fact, it's a blast! It's the wet that I am looking for improvement in. Here in New England, we tend to have a fair amount of wet conditions. I love my 300 and hate to let it go, let's just say that this is an expirement to see if the 250 better suits my style. Another thing, the 300 tends to work you over more in tight, technical stuff, draining your energy a bit quicker. ;) Our advanced level sections place a lot of emphasis on technical skill, just the type of stuff to tire you out quickly. I'm picking it up today, too bad we have 3" of snow on the ground and the temp is 20F. Guess I'll have to put it in my office to drool over until the warmer weather comes. :beer: