Proper travel for a TXT kickstarter?

d2w

Hello,

I have a 2008 TXT 300 Pro. I was recently fitting a flywheel weight and as a final test for the cover clearance I pulled the plug and operated the kickstarter to rotate the crank. The feel of where the kickstarter disengaged concerned me. With apologies to those too young to know how to read an analogue clock :) ... When looking at the bike, the kickstarter starts at 1PM and travels to 11PM with no resistance. Resistance is then felt from 11PM to 8PM as the engine is cranked. But what concerns me is that there is no resistance from 8PM to approx 7PM when it hits the footpeg. Is this no resistance in the last bit of the stroke to be expected? Or does this indicate that the inner workings are somehow misaligned (say a tooth off in their engagement)?

Note that I'm not having any starting issues (once I learned the "start-in-gear-and-roll-back-with-clutch-in" trick), and I don't hear anything amiss. But it just seems odd to me that the mechanism permits one to drive the lever into the footpeg at full force. And it seems to be "wasting" a good bit of energy.

Thank you for your insight.

Dale

I believe what happens is this.

Motion from 1pm to 11pm the "Bart Simpson" gear is travelling outward on the kickstarter shaft to engage the idler gear.

11pm to 8pm the "Bart" gear is engaged and spinning the idle gear which is spinning the clutch basket which spins the gear on the crank.  Making piston go etc. etc. etc. boom fire bike runs.

8pm to 7pm the "Bart" gear disengages from the idle gear allowing the idle gear to spin free away from the "Bart" gear.

My opinion is the damage that usually happens to these gears occurs when releasing the kickstart and the "Bart" gear is traveling back to its original position.

The same basic principal applied to the 2000 Sherco I had, except it had a full gear on the starter shaft that did not disengage at the end of the kick.  But it had angle teeth engagement on the starter shaft that allowed the full gear to spin on the starter shaft when the idle gear was spinning.  It just made a buzzing noise while it spun until the kickstarter was released and the starter gear traveled back to original position.

Think mine is the same. Probably the momentum of the first part of the kick allows the bart simpson to unload and therefore release back to rest. Apparently the kickstart hitting the footpeg is part of the design as well.Never sounds good though