Adjusting Chain

charliechitlins

OK...how do you guys/gals do this?

Back in days of yore, we could either sight down the chain or spin the wheel and make sure the sprocket was centered in the chain.

But now that there's so much slack and the chain is rubbing on wear blocks and tensioners, this doesn't work anymore.

I wish I thought that everything was so perfectly manufactured that I could just line up the little numbers on the snails, but...well...you know.

Tension is easy, it's alignment I'm after.

I doubt I'd notice if the wheels were slightly out of line, I'm more concerned with sprocket alignment for maximum chain/sprocket life.

Actually...I know my wheels are slightly out of line because I put them that way so I wouldn't have to be adjusting my spokes all the time.

Would the string even work for wheel alignment with the tires being different widths?

Charlie, lay a straight edge against the side of the rear sprocket. This is easier with the chain off. Sight down the straight edge to the front sprocket. You'll see misalignment right away B)

The other technique is to measure from the swingarm pivot to the axle on both sides. You can make yourself up a little "jig" with a piece of stiff wire for quick checks.

I`m a novice B) ..but, when my wheel is trued up to the frame and swing arm,my sprocket is out of line with the front sprocket.So it is causing more wear on the chain and sprockets,I thought that was why the front sprocket has a bit of play in it,to help a little.Didnt think you could line the wheels "and" sprockets up

or have I got it all wrong B)

Regards

N