What Gear To Use

beta_basher

Neutral :beer:

Sorry... Couldn't resist myself.

Try 2nd for most stuff and 3rd where its very slippery and don't be scared to let some air out of those tyres when its slippery too.

At the end of the day... whatever works for you but ballance and control is what its all about. (wish I had some ;) )

I've never ridden a zero but I allways get stuck for which gear to use and I find that on most trials unless it is slippery it is best to use a low gear, on most trials I use first for atleast 8 of the 10 sections.

It all depends on the section, and your riding style I suppose.

bob

It does depend on the section and how your bike's geared but the vast majority of clubman level sections can (and probably should) be ridden in 1st. I learned that lesson after several trials worth of fives due to stalls and missed flags (usually because of a combination of poor clutch technique and too much momentum.)

I'll use second if there's a big step or steep climb, maybe 3rd if the climb is long and slippery. The rest of the time it's 1st all the way.

It's the same for me, I allways use higher gear when practicing, but in a trial you will be in a proper section and so stuff will be happening much too fast in second if you are surrounded by unfamiliar rocks and stuff.

bob

First will be loud and annoying if you're not very comfortable with clutching it 75% of the time. Plus on those older bikes, I think the first is much slower than the new ones. I know my gasser's first is very fast, but I like it cause it does everything without a shift lol. Second is probably the best for you unless your doing a big hit, long climb, or some other uber trick that involves a lotta motor. :P:D