Fantic clutch arm not actuating

the outlaw

I'm after some advice on a clutch issue with a Fantic 303. The bike has a cable operated (not hydraulic) clutch. The clutch action has been okay with a clear cable run and smooth operation of the clutch arm, but on pulling the clutch in recently, suddenly the lever went light and the clutch doesn't work. 

I eliminated all cable issues, all is sound, as is the adjustment. When I stripped down the rear subframe to get at the clutch arm that's positioned behind the engine, I can push the arm backwards and forwards with really little resistance - I'm clearly not pushing against the clutch springs or actuating the clutch itself. It's as if the arm isn't engaging within the engine. (I've another Fantic to compare the normal resistance when the arm is pulled, so am happy this is where the problem lies).

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem might be or what to check next? It feels as if something that links the arm to the clutch has broken or worked loose. My thoughts were that even if I take the clutch cover off to expose the plates, the clutch arm where it enters the engine cases is still not exposed to check on it.

The clutch arm and indeed the mechanics of the clutch is the same as many other/earlier models, such as the 240.

Nigel McGoldrick

Remove the flywheel cover and in the top left hand side is a slotted screw remove that and you can now pull out the clutch arm, on the bottom corner is where the push rod makes contact . remove the large center screw in the clutch cover and you can access the push rod this end , you should be able to see if there is a problem . 

• Like 1

Just to say thank you for your replies petert and scorpa250... sounds like an easy job to at least get at and inspect the clutch arm, so will be out on the weekend doing an exploratory op' on the bike. I really appreciate your advice.

Best wishes, Nigel

On 5/7/2017 at 8:33 PM, scorpa250 said:

''Remove the flywheel cover and in the top left hand side is a slotted screw remove that and you can now pull out the clutch arm, on the bottom corner is where the push rod makes contact . remove the large center screw in the clutch cover and you can access the push rod this end , you should be able to see if there is a problem'' . 

Hi scorpa250/ Letting you know I tried your advice and removed the flywheel cover and sprocket guard but it doesn't reveal (unless I'm missing something - see pic) any slotted screw in the top left side. Do I need to remove the flywheel itself and the next layer of engine casing possibly? This presumably entails the need for a flywheel holder and puller?

Any advice - if you've had experience of getting to this screw that holds the clutch arm - appreciated.

Nigel (theoutlaw)

20170510_165502.jpg