Scorpa Sy250 Rear Brake Lever.

scorpa3

When I go from steep down to steep up in one action, my foot presses the rear brake lever by accident, which as you can imagine isn't ideal.

SO I decided to look at lowering the height of the pedal.

Before doing this I noticed that the 5mm bolt and lock nut on top of the arm didn't actually do anything.

It looks as if it should hold the lever down by resting on the swing arm pivot, it is 15mm too far away.

It is a simple job to put a longer bolt in and adjust the actuator pin in to give a lower height.

If I adjust the arm down, it will be even further away. I can't believe it is meant to be like this. Does anyone know?

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Of course this a solution, however if I've had this problem in the past I've simply adjusted the operating level of the lever.

The only small snag with doing this on my SY is the maximum height bolt doesn't come anywhere near where it's supposed to.

My question was; "Is it meant to be like this? Does anyone know?"

Scorpa3

I screwed mine down a bit today but only half what your bolt is out to. It does work but I think the design is to keep it high and protected. I think of the rear brake like the gear lever.........I know where it is when I want it....and it's out of the way when I don't.

BJDownunder

Edited by downunder

Hi, mine has a tab of ally about 3/4" square held at the top of that bolt by a locknut, for what its worth, never had to adjust it  :hat:

Ahh now we're getting there, the bolt did serve a purpose once.

What did the tab of ally look like?

I had my bike new in the summer, so I know it wasn't on there originaly, was it left off at the factory? Or do the letter ones not have it?

Hi, scorpa 3, have no idea wether(?) its stock or not the bike was owned by someone called Gary paffet/parfet (from darn sarf allegedley)so he may of fitted the bit on.

it is a piece of approx 25mm by 3mm ally drilled and held in place by a locknut at the top of the original adjustment bolt, hope this helps cheers buddy. :hat:

• 2 weeks later...

The small bolt with lock nut that is in question serves two purposes. The main purpose is so the rider can adjust the height of the brake pedal in its resting position. When doing this keep in mind there has to be a certain amount of free play at the lever where the brake rod does not engage the piston in the master cylinder. So if you choose to position the lever height lower you must also shorten the adjustment on the rod connected to the rear of the brake pedal by loosening the lock nut on the rod and turning the rod in a little. If a little free play is not maintained your brake may drag, heat up, and lock up.

The small bolt with lock nut in question also acts as a stop to keep the brake lever itself from contacting the rear brake feed hose that goes from the master cylinder resivoir to the master cylinder. The upper inside edge of the top of the lever itself has a square and rather sharpe edge on it. If the pedal height is too high the sharpe edge can work on the feed hose and may cut it which can cause a lose of brake pressure. If you like your pedal position high or have no stop bolt make sure you radius the edge with a file to make it rounded instead of sharp.