I am sure it's not supposed to look like that...

drca

2017-12-28 GasGas-01.jpg

2017-12-28 GasGas-02.jpg

Trying to clear a couple of small logs (8" / 20cm diam) with a distance apart about the bike wheelbase.  1st gear, lift the front wheel a few inches to bump it on the first log, a little bit of clutch and throttle to try to land the front wheel on top of the next log...  Got squirely, landed short with the bars at a slight angle, handlebars yanked to the left, big "clang"... And it's not like I was trying to land a 2 meters drop, it was below walking speed, wheel about 50cm off the ground.  Oh well!

Hope the fork tubes aren't bent!  Back to the garage to take everything apart and check it.

Here is what the fork brace looks like compared to a new one...

2017-12-28 18.03.39.jpg

I measured the fork slider tubes for straightness by clamping down the lower fork, putting a micrometer dial on the slider and rotating the slider and it looks like the right side is bent 0.015" (0.4 mm)  at the top and the left side 0.005" (0.1 mm).  I just put everything together so that when the fork is compress the bend won't pinch the fork and we'll see how it goes.

Sounds and looks like what I did this summer,except I didn't tear the mounting holes. Short gap between a rock and a log but i hit the log instead of lifting to the top of it. Wrenched things around and popped my knee backwards. I couldn't walk on it for a few days. It sure was quite a surprise since I was going very slowly.