Mick Andrews

physco

60 Years of age.....he had a stall at the twinshock show here in the midlands today.

Some of his old bikes were on show plus a very tasty looking Scorpa 125 4stroke with a lovely crafted alloy tank...so I wonder if he is going to ride the little 125 in the SSDT after all

Hi Marky G, i was at the show myself, and was fortunate enough to have a brief chat with Mick, in his words IF he is to ride the 6-Days he will be riding the 4-stroke 250 Scorpa, and IF he was to ride the Pre-65 2-Days he may be using a beautifully restored Ducati or (i think) his old James.

Gaff.

Marky G.

Trying to remember what was said, while Mick was talking to me, i was like (Homer Simpson mode) "wow, Mick Andrews is talking to me !", and there-fore i only took in drips and drabs (Sorry). But, i do remember him saying that Yamaha want him to ride the new Scorpa 250 which will be Liquid Cooled, personally reading between the lines, i think Mick wants to do the Pre-65 Scottish on either the Ducati or another bike,(Homer mode) possibly his old James, personally i would like to see him on the Ducati, why ? Well it's different, and we are going to see somebody riding the new Scorpa no matter what !

Also, yeah that little Scorpa had to be looked at to be appreciated, did you see the state of the rear tyre, it brought a hole new meaning to the word "WORN". I think (tis that Homer thing again) he said that it was a 143cc, and produced more power than a Honda RTL. (One Honda RTL for sale then !).

Gaff.

Cheers for that Gaff, interesting stuff about the little aircooled Yam. I wonder if the 143cc kit will be available to joe public?.

It was nice to see the Micks bike was the 'proto' model with the better looking back mudguard than the one we could buy over the counter.

Apart from the rear tyre :D:P that bike would be one cool bike to own.

Mick did say that the conversion is "only a bolt-on". He did also comment that it's a shame but the SY250 rear fender won't fit the new 125.

Thanks for the lead DGShannon, i'll look into it.

Personally, the bike of the show for me was Mick's Ossa, plain white and with what looked like a nickel coated frame, this is the bike that started it all for me, and whats more, there were plenty of Ossa's for sale in the Auto Jumble, in various states of repair, a nice Mk 1 would suit me.

Gaff.

Edited by Gaff

• 4 years later...

Mick Andrews... what can you say about the bloke ?

In his day a fantastic rider (from what you all say he still is.. but alas I haven't ridden a trials bike for nearly 20 years)... I remember practicising at his home ground often a couple of times a week at Holloway.. and no matter how fit we were.. he always rode us into the ground !

His knowledge of trials was incredible.. was a pleasure to try and learn some of his techniques.

Jill his wife was also very nice (although she did introduce me to liver and onions !)

Anyone remember their little dog.. Bumble.. cute was an understatement and I think everyone involved in trials in the 80s will have been blessed with a few words of Micks wisdom.