Seal Tool

trial_master

I have been looking at the RYP site and have seen that a special tool is needed to replace the fork seals. Is it necessary to buy one, or is there another item i can use as a replacment. (like a wiered tube hammer thingy!)

Also it says i may need an impact tool to undo the alley bolt at the bottom if the fork. Will i get away with using nornal allen keys?

Thanks

Ryan

i once had to make a tool for this purpose to drive in the seals on my paoli upside downies.it was easy for me because i had acces to a lathe.if you can get hold of a piece of plastic or nylon (ebay?)dril a hole through it the same size as the chrome slidy bit,saw it in half,then put the 2 pieces either side of the afore mentioned slidy bit and tap the seals home.

If you mean the small drain screw,they should come out no problem with an allen key.

A piece of PVC pipe as close to the o.d. of the seal as possible works great.

I usually just place the old seal atop the new one and tap gently with a hammer.

The tool worth buying is a seal puller...very inexpensive, and it will keep you from buggering stuff up from prying seals out with a screwdriver.

The damper assembly (innards) may turn if you don't use an impact and the bolt won't come out.

Sometimes there is a hollow in the top of the damper assembly (sometimes even a hex), and I have tapped (gently) a broom handle into this to keep the assembly from spinning.

I haven't needed seals in my Sherco for years, so I've forgotten what is in there.

If you don't have a compressor, you can buy an electric impact gun.

You'll find a million uses for it.

Get the pipe, a length of PVC from your local builder supply will do just fine. you dont need a hammer, the seal will push in almost using finger pressure. the pipe allows you to apply force evenly around the seal as you push it in.

good luck