197 8e advice please

Mark9

Hello, I just bought a 1955 James Captain, it’s a surprise for my 84 year old Father he had one back in the day, I don’t pick it up til the weekend but I was hoping for some advice on a running issue  that the current owner has mentioned, he said it starts easily and rides but won’t rev fully, I’m not that familiar with 2 strokes so thought I’d ask on here for any tips on where to start, thanks Mark.

F8000044-5390-4D84-83BC-CA50969F6E00.jpeg

Edited by Mark9

Things that could stop it revving out;

All the usual things, like;

timing not right,

Blocked exhaust, restricted inlet, (blocked air filter etc)

Blocked jet

Not enough fuel getting to the carb

Weak spark colappsing under load

or something that I've forgotten, good luck, bike looks cool.

Hi Mark, the carburettor fitted is a Villiers best place for all things Villiers is https://villiersservices.co.uk .Normally a well set up villiers carb gives good running so probably nothing too wrong best to check all the things already mentioned also their is a bakelite plug lead to coil connector piece that can be troublesome but if ok works fine.

I would clean the air filter, clean and airline the carb pay particular attention to the needle which sits on a spring and is adjusted with a screw from the top, plug cap and plug, check timing and spark. Good luck the bike looks great.

• 2 weeks later...