Carb' Spacer Removal

ham

:( Hello TC mmbers-- I have a sherco 290 '05 model with a carb spacer.

What does it do?

Has anyone out there removed this part ?

If so what effect did it have on the bike?

Any answers gratefully received ;)

Hi

I presume you mean the spacer in front of the reed block, if so it moves the reeds and carb further away from the engine decreasing the crankcase pressure softening the bottom end and making the bike slightly less responsive as the carb is slightly further away.

Sherco put them on in 2005 but then this year bike dosen't use one but the porting on the new engine is totaly different.

You can take them out it won't do the bike any harm as long as you put a new gasket back on and make sure it seals perfectly, a leak down test will make sure.

Personaly I wouldn't bother, it's fine with it in.

Chris

;) Thanks for the replies fellas.

The reason I want to take it off is that the power delivery is too soft (just like you say) compared to my 04 250 (the250 p155ed up steps from stationary) .

If I don't have to mess about re-jetting the carb then I will definately remove the spacer.Thanks again :(

Jarvis manages fine with a 290, doubt if you will notice much if the spacer is in or out. Kehin may be what you want. 290 has always been a softer motor my guess is you should have stayed on a 250.

:(

Yes Nigel you're right-- 250 for sections with rocks--290 for muddy climbs...but would anyone protest when I switched bikes mid-trial?

There's a question.. does anyone know if Jarvis has his in or out..er.. spacer that is? ;)

He had a spacer on his 05 in 04 at the lakes, in fact that bike was completly as standard with dellorto and everything else, if I remember correctly.

I thought my 290 was a great bike and doubt that it was any worse on rocks than a 250. If anything now on a gas gas my complaint is the gearbox ratios which I regard as a serious defect now, affecting a very small % of sections only. If you find the 290 not "quick" enough try slipping the clutch?

Ham2

You say your bike is to soft, if this is the case I'm guessing it's probably getting ready for a new set of rings and maybe a piston as well, by all means try removing the spacer first but I guessing you will hardly notice the difference.

Same goes for the short header pipe and keihin carb, these will make a lot of difference but not what I think you are after, more bottom end grunt, the longer header pipe on the 05 bike was done to help the bottom end so putting a shorter one on won't help and the keihin carb yes it does make a big difference but most people comment on now it smoothes the bottom end out, if anything it losses some bottom end grunt.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

:lol: Update--Thanks again for your help lads-- I found an old pilot jet in my tool box so I drilled it out...just for the hell of it..

It really solved the problem-- made the power meaty at the bottom end.

Instead of just messing around, practicing on a very,very small rocky section I took Cherie ( I name all my Shercos)to a bona fide trial last sunday ( It's been 10 months since I rode an event) .

I think the longer run out has cleared out the exhaust.

The softer power delivery made the bike grip on mud and roots much better than the 250 ever did-- now I get it (the need for the spacer).

Cheers <_<