framed mounted chain tensioner

detective 21

hoping for some input here guys, building a paul Jackson framed cub and struggling with the chain tensioner position, was hoping to get it tucked up behind the peg mount on the swing arm but the chain had clearance issues with the spring when the swingarm moved, I have tried a gasgas/universal/beta tensioners and all have issues mounting in this area, so I have now mounted one on the back of the peg mount, clearance with the chain is the best I have had it and as the swingarm moves the tensioner keeps tension. I like this position but are there any issues with doing it this way?

I thought that because is it still mounted close to the pivot point of the swingarm the difference between the frame position and swingarm position in relation to the pivot point is quite small.

my only other alternative is to move it forward a couple inches to a more conventional position....

if anyone has any suggestions on mounting position and tensioner to use.

IMAG0944.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

I have found the TY175 type work well when mounted to the swing arm on my PJ bike, fit it immediately behind the footrest mount checking the suspension movement arc for clearance between tensioner bolt and frame.

Because they are outside the chain not between chain and tyre mud is not scraped off the tyre by the tensioner arm.

7 minutes ago, trialsrfun said:

I have found the TY175 type work well when mounted to the swing arm on my PJ bike, fit it immediately behind the footrest mount checking the suspension movement arc for clearance between tensioner bolt and frame.

Because they are outside the chain not between chain and tyre mud is not scraped off the tyre by the tensioner arm.

do you have any photos of your set up and the whole bike?

There is no reason why the set up you have should not work but when the tensioner is swing arm mounted spring tension remains constant throughout rear wheel suspension movement whereas if the tensioner is fixed to the frame it then varies due to the chain moving nearer to or further away from it, obviously the nearer to the gearbox sprocket you can fit the tensioner the better .

Edited by trialsrfun