4rt Clutch - Which Oil?

4ourtea

I know the clutch problems have been well discussed but can anyone answer the questions regarding oil type?

I spoke to a 4rt '05 owner at a Wessex Centre trial last weekend and he swears that the REPSOL transmission oil is c**p and exacerbates the clutch drag and snatchyness problems. His bike is "on" the ELF stuff and after a ride round on it, there did appear a difference regarding drag. Having said that, he has also changed his gearing down so that may well be the reason for less of a snatchy & jerky take up.

Ignoring the Mitani clutch and 315 master cylinder solutions, have many of you boffins changed the gearing?

AND

What is regarded as the most appropriate oil?

Not sure about the Mont, but on my Sherco's (and Gasers) I have used the IPONE Synthesis 2 oil recommended by Sherco, and also the Elf Lub HTX 740, and I have found the Elf to be better. It's not cheap, but I figure it's cheaper than clutch parts, so it's worth the extra cash. It can be hard to get hold of, but I know bvm trialsport stock it. :closedeyes:

I think that the Jitsie kit was copied from Peter Schwarz, he was making plates long before Jitsie. I had a set on the infamous 315, they do raise the rear and seem to make it more progressive. Not planning to try them on the 4RT - not sure I'll ever be good enough to really notice the difference. They are very close to the std centres.

Only one oil to use - Elf.

First day out with the new clutch today.

Firstly, I'd like to stress that I'm not on commission from Mitani.

Secondly, it works!

It was pretty slippery where I rode, so grip was at a premium whether you were on a 2T or 4T. The new clutch gets rid of the 'snatchy' engagement that would normally see you spin the wheel when you try to release the lever smoothly and add power. Its much more progressive, so you can feed the clutch and power, without the on/off effect.

No probs finding neutral, or starting in gear even at the end of the event.

My bike is an 05, and I haven't ridden an 06, so I'm not sure how it would compare. I'm using the recommended Elf gear oil, bike is fitted with the 315 Master Cylinder and long lever.

Quote:has anyone tested any lower footrest brackets, any good?

I previously ordered a set of mitani ones, but found them to be actually higher than stock about 5mm and further back by about 3mm, so sent them back. (for a full refund, i might add.)

I may have simply got a rogue set, and in fairness there was no quibble on my refund, but i would advise on checking them out first.

Sorry ludde, i didn't get the chance to try them out!

Edited by monty-python