montesa cota 247 1974 wont start

baphomet

On 3/10/2020 at 6:15 PM, baphomet said:

seems that i don't have much of a spark, tried new plug , same as before, looking into the coil next, thanks

Hi

Electronic ignition is the best, it really is, I have it on my Sherpa, top drawer, first kick all day.

But I have a Monti 247 with points and original electrical system that works fine, so I haven't yet spent the money on an electronic system.

First thing is new points (£15) and to mount a new condenser (£6) next to the coil away from the original position. Check, check check the wiring is sound, there is no continuity, so don't be fooled. This also makes the timing more difficult, but spend some time measuring it properly, I have 2mm (20 degrees) BTDC, but its hard to get that exactly right.

The next is the carb, mate you cannot clean this properly enough, use thin wire, micro drill bits and thinners, old oil and neglect, even modern fuels will clog up the carb. Make absolutely sure all the holes, inlets etc. are clear, then do it again ?.

My Montesa 247 will start every time first or second kick, but I do need to run her regularly as modern fuel is a bitch, I have a number of bikes, and I'm still in two minds about spending the extra for electronic ignition on the Monti (Which I don't ride often), if it was my only bike and the one I rode all the time, I wouldn't hesitate.

sorry for late reply, not been on for a while, i'm thinking of going electronic ignition, no messing about, i just want it running now, lifes too short, could you advise me on how to go about it, starting with best place to buy, and how easy to fit, ?  thanks stu, anglesey

13 hours ago, baphomet said:

sorry for late reply, not been on for a while, i'm thinking of going electronic ignition, no messing about, i just want it running now, lifes too short, could you advise me on how to go about it, starting with best place to buy, and how easy to fit, ?  thanks stu, anglesey

Hi Stu,

Got my kit(s) from www.electrexworld.co.uk they offer you a choice of kits that inc lighting connectors or without.

Quite speedy (before Covid19) service as well;

No idea of ease of fitting, as I didn't do it .........but from what i was told be the guy who did, reasonable easy to do.

All the best

Andy