Rev3 Airbox Maintenance

5again

Trial last Sunday was a bit of a mudfest and would like to take the airbox completely off of my recently acquired s/h 05 rev3 to give it a good cleanup, used to do this on previous shercos - nice and easy to work on.

Will the airbox assembly come off without removing the shock / exhaust? - or does either need to be removed first, it looks a bit tight in there, was even wondering if the expansion box needs to be slacked off or removed.

Appreciate any guidance or previous experience.

btw - I did remove the flywheel cover to let the leccy bits dry out, it did dribble a bit when removed.

thanks again.

Two options: -

1) Remove the silencer and middle pipe = 3 bolts

2) Remove the rear wheel = 1 big bolt

Either of the above will give you enough room to get the airbox out and more importantly back in again. I always use option 1 as it makes fitting the rubber hose to the carb' much easier with the middle pipe out of the way.

If you ride a lot of deep water I would recommend fitting a drain pipe to the air box (just in case!)

Buy a valve stem (rear wheel).

Drill a hole at the front and bottom of the airbox (same diameter as the threaded stem).

Poke a straightened out wire coat hanger down into the airbox and out through the drilled hole.

Thread the valve stem over the wire and wiggle it down until it pops out of the hole you just drilled.

Fit the nut and then cut the threaded stem down to about half the original size (don't throw the offcut away).

Unthread the nut to clear off any sharp burrs.

Refit the nut and tighten it all up (no need to seal it but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use some silicone)

Fit a length of clear piping to the threaded stem.

Thread it towards the front of the bike and down towards the back of the gear lever and let it hang in the sump guard area.

Fit the threaded offcut into the end of the pipe and replace the dust cap.

After each submarine expedition, simply glance at the clear pipe to see if any water has been collected. Remove the dust cap to drain and then refit :P

There's no way that I could come up with something so simple and effective I'm afraid :P

I sneaked into Silsden HQ and watched Griffo prepping the Team Beta bikes for last years SSDT - I'll try and post a piccy later...

Great idea/ solution and just the sort of thing that i would have thought Messers Lampkin, Birkett, Shirt and Rathmell would have been eager to share with thier customers or prospective customers via websites etc

we're all eager to make the most of and get the best from our bikes so please guys don't keep these 'works' secret mod's a secret!

Thanks for the advice, I removed the wheel and silencer and loosened the centre section and it all came apart, though getting the airbox boot back on the carb when I put it back together was a pig!

Thanks again!

I'll have to go and have a look at my bike r2w..but I THOUGHT that, if you did it that way, it was impossible to tighten the jubilee clip..(the one at the rear of the concertina rubber)..((airbox end))...

isnt it hidden behind the frame????? :D

Hopefully you're right..which I'm sure you are...(as always!!!) :D ..but I'll go and have a butchers at me bike anyway