Cota 248.....Getting A Spark?

dr nosh

So, at the point now of trying to get some life out of the Motoplat ignition.

Measured the coil - Primary 3 ohms, secondary 13.8 k ohms. No short to earth. Happy with that.

The engine is grounded - Multiple points checked from engine to frame and fittings.

Condenser is mounted under the tank. Body is grounded. Red wire to points is not grounded.

So, in the ign area I have 2 wires to connect.

Red (as already mentioned) is to the condenser.

Yellow goes to a coil. The black wire on that same coil goes up to the ignition coil.

I can attach the red wire and when the points are closed there is continuity, Closed Circuit, and when the points are open there is no continuity - Open Circuit, as you would expect.

When I attach the yellow wire, there is continuity when the points are open or closed??

How should the wires be connected to the points, and what is the purpose of the insulating washers on either side of the bolt holding the points spring.....or have I assembled the points incorrectly?

Last step before getting it running, and its driving me nuts.

SAM_0685.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Still struggling with this.

Which side should the Yellow be attached to?  The 'fixed side' Left, or the 'moving side' Right?

Wha is the purpose of the insulating washers on either side of the bolt through the points?

In the package with the new condenser was this Red wire. Looks like this solders to the 'button' point of the condenser, but what does the terminal connect to? (In the first picture of the coils, the red wire is the extended lead to go up to the condenser that I will mount under the tank)

SAM_0892.JPG

Wire it as per my previous post or run the red wire from condensor to coil on same terminal as black wire.  The insulating washer are to isolate the side of the points going to the coil from the frame....you really need to learn to use google.

978C2C34-8E31-4CFE-8558-37D22483C71F.jpeg

Edited by keychange

OK, so my Googling skill need increasing, and thank for your help, its appreciated, .......but.......the reason for the problem......not how I had wired it up.....new NGK plug, new NGK cap.....and the rubber moisture cover actually preventing the plug from 'snapping' home on the connection. Removed the rubber cover and bingo, a connection and a spark.?

Now who would have thought that would have been the issue??

Wasted hours on this......arrrgh.?

SAM_0894.JPG

Its now running, after a long, a very long restoration.

Started with a frame, and the rest of it was in cardboard boxes, and all jumbled up. Oh, I do like a jigsaw puzzle.

Finished 01.JPG

Edited by dr nosh