Better late than never?!

haggetty

28 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

I can't imagine anyone being embarrassed at an electric bike.  They are good kit and will do the same as a petrol bike.  More likely curious and want to have a go on it themselves.

Yes, embarrassed was probably the wrong word. The bike will certainly be capable of much more than I’ll be asking of it - apart from its ability to carry a heavy load that is! 
I’d probably feel more comfortable turning up on  something more conventional but the Electric machine has many compelling advantages and no real disadvantages as far as I can see. 

21 hours ago, haggetty said:

Thanks for your reply trapezeartist! I fully agree with reason 1.

Reason 2. Yes indeed, seasoned triallists may be embarrassed turning up on an electric bike! Understand that. I really hope I can keep my embarrassment gene suppressed!

Reason 3. Most that have used the EM Race reckon it’s as good as an electric can get and is more or less the equivalent of a petrol bike now in terms of its capabilities! 
Do you think it will lose value quickly because of the suspicions of battery life?

PS still trying to justify it myself actually haha! 

Everything I see and read tells me that the current model is fully competitive. I’m less convinced about 2/3 year-old models but I don’t have enough information to be definitive.

I have no idea about future values. If I could predict future values of anything I’d be a lot richer than I am.😀

On 3/14/2021 at 10:21 PM, trapezeartist said:

Everything I see and read tells me that the current model is fully competitive. I’m less convinced about 2/3 year-old models but I don’t have enough information to be definitive.

I have no idea about future values. If I could predict future values of anything I’d be a lot richer than I am.😀

Me too on the crystal ball front! Yes, I agree that the EM might be a hard sell at 2-3 years old and that means losing a shedload of money. It’s an unknown. Common sense tells me to look at a good newish 2T at around £4K and just get on with the business of coping with its relative lack of convenience. 
 Now I know I can practice on a nearby trials ground 7 days a week, the need to be silent is not a compelling g argument!

Nothing against the EM, I'd quite like one if they were cheaper, but I don't see why there would be a significant reduction in maintenance the only things it doesn't have are coolant and fuel systems both of which only tend to need work every couple of years. They still have linkage, headstock and wheel bearings, gearbox and fork oil etc.

6 hours ago, totty79 said:

Nothing against the EM, I'd quite like one if they were cheaper, but I don't see why there would be a significant reduction in maintenance the only things it doesn't have are coolant and fuel systems both of which only tend to need work every couple of years. They still have linkage, headstock and wheel bearings, gearbox and fork oil etc.

No piston, valves, barrel, mains, crank, pressure-holding seals, gears (on some), clutch (on some), chain, spark plug, points ... no fuel mixing either ...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

No piston, valves, barrel, mains, crank, pressure-holding seals, gears (on some), clutch (on some), chain, spark plug, points ... no fuel mixing either ...

Most people buying new or nearly new bikes are never going to even see the piston or mains. Whereas before an engine rebuild is needed things like the rear linkage will have been stripped and greased a dozen times, several changes of hydraulic fluid, fork oil, wheel bearings and who knows how many brake pads etc. etc.

We could even get picky about things like electric still having mains.

It's probably fair to say that there is less to go wrong, but if someone doesn't have the facilities to maintain a petrol bike then I don't think an EM fixes that, they still have many of the parts that need routine maintenence.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, totty79 said:

Most people buying new or nearly new bikes are never going to even see the piston or mains. Whereas before an engine rebuild is needed things like the rear linkage will have been stripped and greased a dozen times, several changes of hydraulic fluid, fork oil, wheel bearings and who knows how many brake pads etc. etc.

We could even get picky about things like electric still having mains.

It's probably fair to say that there is less to go wrong, but if someone doesn't have the facilities to maintain a petrol bike then I don't think an EM fixes that, they still have many of the parts that need routine maintenence.

Some very good points there and I agree that the EM is only a partial solution. I have been thinking about little else since my first post, weighing up the pros and cons and taking on board lots of the constructive and considered comments. 
To that end, I have decided against the EM as my first trials bike! I have asked for my deposit to be placed instead on a 4rt 260. 
I will try the 4rt out during my training session at inch perfect on 2nd April and will also try the Beta 250. 
Had a good long chat with Graham at inch perfect and discussed the pros and cons of each machine. I understand that the Beta may possibly feel a tad better in some conditions, and the 4rt in others. As I have experience of neither I’m choosing what, I feel, may be the better ownership proposition. 
I’ve considered getting an old secondhand model for a couple of thousand to get me going,  but if it was worn out and ran like a dog, it could put me right off for one thing and be expensive to put right for another. 
A nearly new machine may have been looked after, or may have been used like a wrecking ball and not maintained. So, I have decided to get a new one. It will save me nearly £2.5k on the purchase price, and, I think I stand a better chance of losing less if I sell after 3 years or so. 

It feels like a massive indulgence and it is I suppose but after the last terrible year it will bring some much needed cheer!

So, thanks all for your comments so far, maybe there’ll be more!!

cheers

Edited by haggetty
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, haggetty said:

Some very good points there and I agree that the EM is only a partial solution. I have been thinking about little else since my first post, weighing up the pros and cons and taking on board lots of the constructive and considered comments. 
To that end, I have decided against the EM as my first trials bike! I have asked for my deposit to be placed instead on a 4rt 260. 
I will try the 4rt out during my training session at inch perfect on 2nd April and will also try the Beta 250. 
Had a good long chat with Graham at inch perfect and discussed the pros and cons of each machine. I understand that the Beta may possibly feel a tad better in some conditions, and the 4rt in others. As I have experience of neither I’m choosing what, I feel, may be the better ownership proposition. 
I’ve considered getting an old secondhand model for a couple of thousand to get me going,  but if it was worn out and ran like a dog, it could put me right off for one thing and be expensive to put right for another. 
A nearly new machine may have been looked after, or may have been used like a wrecking ball and not maintained. So, I have decided to get a new one. It will save me nearly £2.5k on the purchase price, and, I think I stand a better chance of losing less if I sell after 3 years or so. 

It feels like a massive indulgence and it is I suppose but after the last terrible year it will bring some much needed cheer!

So, thanks all for your comments so far, maybe there’ll be more!!

cheers

You’ll love the 4RT - so well built and forgiving. Best of luck!