World Indoor Trials

gizza5

Following on from the story in T&MX, it made interesting reading and a little sense.

To re-iterate the facts:

It's meant to be a world championship, open to 6 riders :D

Four of which are Spanish, one Brit, one Jap!! No disrespect to the Spanish boys for being good, but it's not exactly a global field :D

And is it really trials riding or is it a 'show' if it's a 'show' should it be a world championship?

And then look at the organisers, enough said.

Many people ask me what I do as a sport, when I say trials riding '' Oh yes Iv'e seen that on Eurosport, jumping up and over man-made obsacles, you do that''

''Not exactly''! :hyper:

Has the sport of trials gone too far?

Does the indoor promote our sport?

Does it put bums on bikes?

Do we need a World Indoor Trials Championship?

I would rather see the World Championship being a single sport, outdoors, where it is meant to be, and double up on the world rounds (Sat & Sun) every round. Man and machine against the natural elements, terrain, weather etc.

Two days at Hawkstone, now there's a thought, Transit full of beer :D:ph34r:

Many people ask me what I do as a sport, when I say trials riding '' Oh yes Iv'e seen that on Eurosport, jumping up and over man-made obsacles, you do that''

''Not exactly''! :ph34r:

You should say yes,I do that.That was one of the trials from the beginner series :D:D

I understand how irrating it is to explain trials, because it's difficult for people to grasp the idea of bikes NOT racing .

The problem with there being 4 spannish riders in the series extends from the spannish youth funding scheme really as far as the quality of the riders goes.

The series is run by spanniards for the spaniards.

If you were to have more riders from different countries riding, the problem then becomes how difficult do you set the sections .

Either the spaniards will yawn their way through the sections :hyper:

Or the riders from other countries will be falling all o'er the place :D:D

On the other hand though....

people are wowed when they see people jumping massive steps - on a motorcycle

The progress of the sport shouldn't be halted (one reason i'm behind switching to the FIM ruling on stoping but thats another topic)

Edited by Beta120690

i know what you mean GIZZA5. but if it wasnt as spectacular as it is now people probably would switch channel because it looks easy. if it stays as it is more people would watch it as its more on the 'edge of you chair thing' keep people entertained and becomes more popular.

example: when i say i have a trial on the weekend people dont know what it is. then i ask them if they have ever seen motorbike (trials) jumping up and droping off concrete pipes,big fag packets etc. then they say it absolutley amazing what they get up it looks impossible. i just say i do things like that but going up banks and through streams on the same type of bikes.

but its not exactly a WORLD championship trial as most of the competitors are spanish they should have more wild card riders from different countries.

I'm not a fan of the indoor championship but it does get more TV coverage than outdoors as it's in a controlled environment.

Many of the sections get used more than once, three rounds are in Spain that has just completed their own championship I can see some of the sections being used for both series.

But if it fills sports halls, and the riders get a bit of something for entertaining the spectators, it doesn't harm the fan who likes the outdoor world championship.

The reason why there is more spanish riders is more qualified and quite simply they are the best nation. If we had 4 GB riders we would all be raving about it. The indoor WTC probably appeals more to the armchair supporter and no doubt is a better spectator sport to the un-educated masses. Obviously the outdoor is the one that really matters. But it is still a very good way of promoting trials.

Long may it continue.

I'm not a fan of the indoor championship but it does get more TV coverage than outdoors as it's in a controlled environment.

I'm with Ishy on this one. It's great for the sport, but just doesn't float my boat. I'd rather freeze my nuts off on a hillside photographing a "real" trial than be warm in Sheffield. I only do Sheffield because a) it's easy to cover and b ) it's a good social event - meeting up with folk at the start of the new year etc. I'd probably have gone to Belfast again tonight if Octagon hadn't messed the dates about, but again most of that would have been because it's easy to get to and the social side.

But it is still a very good way of promoting trials.

Is it though since the start of the indoor scene, yes more people are aware of the sport, but has it put more bums on trials bikes, has it put more money into the sport, I doubt it.

I am not critisising, the indoor, just wonder if it should be a World Championship. How many other sports are only open to so few?

I would rather see the World Championship being a single sport, outdoors, where it is meant to be, and double up on the world rounds (Sat & Sun) every round. Man and machine against the natural elements, terrain, weather etc.

I'm thinking that Indoor World Championships are about the only hope trials has of ever making mainstream sports. Look what Supercross has done for MX...guaranteed it would not be where it is to day without SX. With "mainstream" comes $$$...with $$$ comes more factory support, better riders and higher levels of competition, or at least higher levels of riding for sure.

I think you can dismiss it as being "not the real thing" but realistically it's likely to be the future of the sport :hyper:

Inddor is great I wish I could see it the USA. But the Selectio process is biazarre to say the least.

Couldn't they just seed four and hold a qualifier for another four slots at each event? Seems like it would make more sense and open things up a bit.

I'm amazed at the paucity of coverage in general. You would think you at least could find a well written account of what happened in each event---or is there a mystry site I'm missing?

I'm amazed at the paucity of coverage in general. You would think you at least could find a well written account of what happened in each event---or is there a mystry site I'm missing?

Well, there's the news on the front page of this site! Plus, if you hunt around you might be able to find the Eurosport coverage some of this year's indoor rounds available for download... :hyper:

I've always thought of indoor events as more of am extended demonstration of trick riding than a proper test of rider and machine although like several people have already said, it's certainly more spectator friendly than standing on a feezing Yorkshire moor in February (I'm thinking of the guys up at the Colonial right now....)

At the risk of perpetuating a well-worn conversation that's still going on elsewhere, what the sport needs (in the UK at least) is the return of "Kickstart". The best bits of indoor and outdoor trials in a spectator-friendly format with an easy to understand scoring system.

I think it is simply a mechanism to showcase the sport in order to sell bikes. and that requires TV, which in turn needs to get as much coverage with as few cameras as possible (indoor).Its not co-incidental that there is a Montesa, Sherco, Beta and GasGas on the bill (I guess Scorpa don't want to play yet).

At the end of the day if you want to promte the sport it's better to say "What I do on a Sunday isn't quite like that but ..." than "What I do is get out of bed early to drive to a wood, stand in the rain/mud while I sign on then spend the rest of the day riding into trees & falling off into puddles (in my case)before driving home and cleaning the bike :hyper: .

Like the man said, there's no such thing as bad publicity.