Jump to content

Hughie

Air cooled mono pros/cons?

Recommended Posts

Good Evening folks,

I’m looking to get into trials as mentioned in other posts and am currently bike shopping. Initially I was looking for a twin shock as it reminded me of my youth and an old TY I once had. But, to be honest, the prices are a bit off putting and I have a budget to stick to so had decided to find the best Beta 200 or 250 I can for what I want to spend.

But I keep finding myself attracted to the air cooled monos, cheaper than twinshocks generally, a bit more up to date I guess but with a bit more ‘soul appeal’ than some of the modern iron. I’m a sucker for a classic bike and don’t mind a bit of tinkering.

Would there be any disadvantages to buying something like a mono TY or Fantic (or Aprilia or Montesa for that matter) when it comes to the practical side of doing trials? Would it hold me back from learning 

I don’t think I’m going to be hopping around on the back wheel or climbing vertical rock faces anytime soon so I’m wondering if it would matter at entry level.

Anything I should consider before going that way?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

We just started trials and I thought about the same as u, but i do want to learn as much as possible for my person.

The older bikes we have do not respond that well on throttle and are just more difficult.

Do u want to learn the skills ? Buy as new as possible. 

Do u just want to ride around and wrench on a bike, go for the older. And I asume the really old bikes like Fantic are quite difficult. Just look at how the sport changed over years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
24 minutes ago, Tiewrap said:

We just started trials and I thought about the same as u, but i do want to learn as much as possible for my person.

The older bikes we have do not respond that well on throttle and are just more difficult.

Do u want to learn the skills ? Buy as new as possible. 

Do u just want to ride around and wrench on a bike, go for the older. And I asume the really old bikes like Fantic are quite difficult. Just look at how the sport changed over years.

What older bikes are you riding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

At the moment a Beta rev3, Scorpa sy, and a Honda TLM220. Have had an twinshock Montesa long ago.

Compared to a air-cooled Fantic there new

Edited by Tiewrap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
58 minutes ago, Tiewrap said:

At the moment a Beta rev3, Scorpa sy, and a Honda TLM220. Have had an twinshock Montesa long ago.

Compared to a air-cooled Fantic there new

How do you find the TLM and the Scorpa? Is parts availability ok for the TLM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
11 hours ago, Tiewrap said:

...Do u want to learn the skills ? Buy as new as possible.

This a thousand times. When you can ride really well then buy an old twin shock or similar (as well as the new bike) to entertain you and you will be able to ride it well.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

My results on the Scorpa are even better as on the Beta rev3. But i like the Beta more, no real reason but sound and looks. The TLM is not running yet, waiting for parts takes long, there is some available on cmsnl.com but not everything. It is very rare in Europe so there is nothing "in the market". 

No parts needed for the Scorpa yet, but it haves a lot of regular parts and a Yamaha engine.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
23 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

This a thousand times. When you can ride really well then buy an old twin shock or similar (as well as the new bike) to entertain you and you will be able to ride it well.

 

Thank you Chris! As you said to me before really …. Decision made. Just curiosity getting the better of me. Advice taken, modern bike it is 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, Tiewrap said:

My results on the Scorpa are even better as on the Beta rev3. But i like the Beta more, no real reason but sound and looks. The TLM is not running yet, waiting for parts takes long, there is some available on cmsnl.com but not everything. It is very rare in Europe so there is nothing "in the market". 

No parts needed for the Scorpa yet, but it haves a lot of regular parts and a Yamaha engine.

 

 

Thanks for the tips and info. It all leads back to the Beta! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
3 hours ago, Hughie said:

Thank you Chris! As you said to me before really …. Decision made. Just curiosity getting the better of me. Advice taken, modern bike it is 😀

Cool.  I can only add that I wish you every bit of luck possible in finding something nice at a good price.  I also started on a 15 hundred budget and ended up with the TRS (£3,600)  It has been a good purchase for me.  There are still some nails about even at that price though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The TLM was never offically sold in the UK, Europe or the US, it was a Japanese market bike with a 2 stroke engine based on a Montesa engine.

The ones you find in the UK are all grey market stuff that were mainly shipped in by grey importers as cheap fillers in shipping containers full of JDM 400's sportbikes when the supply of TLR 200's started to dry up, which were another filler but also a big hit.

Edited by Goudrons2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have two air cooled monos and I do like them these have been and are still captable of doing advanced trials riding.

In terms of modern artistic riding they are acceptable if you are very good, but when it comes to trials riding without stopping they are easier to use then twinshock bikes and as mentioned you can use them for trials hiking very well too.

Then they look quite nice too.

Biggest problem are spare parts especially to Italian (except Fantic) and Spanish bikes.

 

Here my bikes in spoiling surrounding ...

EnB8z5D_hyVqkvXIQTUAs4QqdMZtWxU2X0vOt45V

AM-JKLUzwAdvDwhR7u1UE7sDofNOR0JutgzjR1Nc

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have never had to shut down a air cooled dirt bike from overheating. I had to shut down because i was overheated.  Yes, liquid bikes will make more power. I would very much like to see brand new trail & trials bikes have option of air or liquid engines.    dream on magnapoxy-----dream on---

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Yes, this photo is off topic, been saving it.  This is Scott Sumners. usa gncc champion for several years in the 1980-s.   Note the lack of strain on his face--   this is a xr 600 Honda !!   The 80-s they were magic.  I wonder, what the He#% happpened to the world---- 

SCOTT SUMMERS.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...