Hong27

Handle bar height

Hi All,

New to trials, so be gentle 😁 have been a road bike man since way back when. Just after advice/thoughts really. Recently brought a 2nd hand Sherco ST250. It came fitted with higher bars as the previous owner was 6ft plus. He gave me the original bars. My question is, as I am of shorter stature (approx 5'9) would it be beneficial to me in anyway to refit the original bars. I understand there's thoughts of what feels better etc etc....but was just looking for peoples thoughts before going through the rigmarole of changing bars over etc. 

Many thanks in advance 😉

Im 6,2 and ride with standard bars. Definitely go back to standard, 95% of trials riders run standard height bars

• Like 2

I'm 5'10 and use standard bars on my ST250 without problems.

My TY175 and Cota 349 have higher bars than stock, and my other half has back problems so she has risers on all her dirt bikes too, so your mileage may vary ;) It's better to be comfortable on the bike and slightly less competitive IMO.

• Thanks 1

If you have a track stand, or suitable blocks of wood, chock your bike up vertically, then stand on the pegs.   You should be able to stand with your hands not applying much pressure at all.   This goes for the fore and aft position of the bars as well as the height of them.   Also try left to right turns, is the forward bar end going beyond your reach..?    Hope you get it sorted to your position.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phiggs said:

If you have a track stand, or suitable blocks of wood, chock your bike up vertically, then stand on the pegs.   You should be able to stand with your hands not applying much pressure at all.   This goes for the fore and aft position of the bars as well as the height of them.   Also try left to right turns, is the forward bar end going beyond your reach..?    Hope you get it sorted to your position.

Thank you for the advice. Must admit I put the original bars back on today with some new grips. Funny enough I done as you have just said above and set the bars up to what felt a lot better. Had a quick blat up the road and done a few tight turns and felt a lot easier, also I felt lighter on the bars. Tomorrow will tell. Thanks again for the advise everyone, much appreciated. 👍

• Like 3