Main Bearings Refurb!

team andrew

I guess you are getting a great deal if you are getting 2 bearings and seals for $13.

I am certain that they are the same quality.  How does that work :o

Sounds good to me.

Hi Alan,

The bearing make is FAG (honest) I've seen the brand being used at work in most of our heavy plant.

Couldn't tell you where there made but isn't everything made in China or Japan these days?? :(:huh:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Wayne, water in the airbox has never been an issue, in fact compared to other makes I think the airbox is the best out there.

I ride many streams, mud, clart nothing gets in.

I think you need to find the reason for water getting in something sounds as if it isn't on correctly.

The reason your mains are toast is all the dirt getting in them, cure the water problem and you will cure the main problem.

Marky G,

I would really like to understand how your are getting water in your airbox. Can you describe the conditions. What kind of terrain are you riding in.

Is the problem associated with riding the bike or is it when you wash the bike.

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Conditions this time or year are mainly mud and streams and more mud :D

I've never had a look inside the airbox before I wash the bike cause the things covered in mud!......When I use a jet washer I do try not to 'aim' it for too long under the rear guard.

The Airbox is in good condition with no splits and a good rubber sleeve attachment to the carb.

The Airfilter looks in good condition & is washed after every trial and dried out before applying Silkolene filter oil.

I also grease the underside of the filter where it mates with the airbox, I also check that the filter 'lid' is the right way round when I place it over the top of the filter.

I make sure the rear guard is attached properly to the under side of the airbox lip, I then apply duct tape around this join (I've even used duct tape & silicon sealer before now...and it still water got inside the box!!!).

After every trial I wash the bike then let it dry, then I'll take the rear guard off and take the air filter out, most days the airfilter will have some dirt/mud in the base of the filter (not much, but enough to warrant cleaning again).

and upon shineing a torch into the airbox there will be a small 'puddle' of dirty water in the base of the box!!!! so then it's box off and carb off and a clean up all round :huh::(

The only thing I havn't done is put a new airfilter in....but the old one looks to be great condition.

So am I missing something or what??

It's getting to be a right pain doing this after every trial :o

Edited by Marky G

Marky,

It is very hard to play detective long distance but I believe that the water is getting into your filter/airbox while you are washing the bike.

I always find water under the fender after I wash my bike, especially when it is really muddy. The solution is to remove the rear fender before I was the bike and cover the airbox. I wipe the top of the filter retainer off with a some contact cleaner and then apply a piece of duct tape to the retainer, effectively sealing the airbox intake. I even place an oil soaked rag over the top of the airbox and reinstall the rear fender.

Since I have been doing this I have never found water in my filter / airbox. David Chaves of Team Sherco scolded me for starting my bike immediately after washing it because it is possible to get water in the air box during washing. David always takes his filter out and cleans it and the airbox after each washing. I dop not like to remove the air box so I protect it during the washing cycle. I really believe that is the source of you water infiltration. I do not think it is getting in while you ride the bike.

A good test would be to remve the reaf fender and check it out before you wash the bike.

Wayne

Main bearings on a sherco wearing out. We have never had anyone else complain about them but you. That was the reply by MRS. Sherco factory said they have never had any problems anywhere in europe. In our family we have returned 3 Sherco bikes back to MRS and another dealer because the mains have gone. Dont think that it takes a couple of years for the mains to wear out because the last bike to be returned was a 2004 model 4 weeks ago after only three trials. We have still got another 04 bike with noisy mains after 5 local clubman trials. The fact is that the majority of new bikes show signs of wear after only a few weeks and older bikes which have not had any new bearings fitted sound like sheds. Most people will not detect the noisey mains until they get worse. We returned to the Sherco brand this year because the 04 spec was that they had fitted longer life bearing. That in its self is an admission that they Sherco have got a design problem. However what does longer life mean 3 weeks instead of 2. Dont think that this problem is to do with water in the air box or lack of oil in the petrol ,no it is most likely that the cooling is inefficient in the lower part of the engine causing expansion and putting to much thrust pressure on to the main bearings. I have been really carefull with my new bike not allowing water at any time into the airbox including washing and running more oil then recommended in the petrol mix.

It takes a big man to admit it is his fault.

Main bearings on a sherco wearing out. We have never had anyone else complain about them but you. That was the reply by MRS. Sherco factory said they have never had any problems anywhere in europe. In our family we have returned 3 Sherco bikes back to MRS and another dealer because the mains have gone. Dont think that it takes a couple of years for the mains to wear out because the last bike to be returned was a 2004 model 4 weeks ago after only three trials. We have still got another 04 bike with  noisy mains after 5 local clubman trials. The fact is that the majority of new bikes show signs of wear after only a few weeks and older bikes which have not had any new bearings fitted sound like sheds. Most people will not detect the noisey mains until they get worse. We returned to the Sherco brand this year because the 04 spec was that they had fitted longer life bearing. That in its self is an admission that they Sherco have got a design problem. However what does longer life mean 3 weeks instead of 2. Dont think that this problem is to do with water in the air box or lack of oil in the petrol ,no it is most likely that the cooling is inefficient in the lower part of the engine causing expansion and putting to much thrust pressure on to the main bearings. I have been really carefull with my new bike not allowing water at any time into the airbox including washing and running more oil then recommended in the petrol mix.

It takes a big man to admit it is his fault.

YFirst anyone could put British as a name and start pushing bull**** about another brand, so to have any credibility at all, put a real name.

Design problem, one of the first Sherco's ever made 99 250 is still going strong on the original piston and bearings in this area.

You say your 04 has only done three trials and the mains have gone out, so it must be a design fault, that's probably less than 100 miles, yet many do over 500 miles in the ssdt without any problem, why doesn't the same so called design fault affect them? or any of the Shercos I own or my mates.

And if true, why does this always effect you more than anyone else, not saying it could be you that's doing anything wrong heaven forbid, you say you switched brands, did the one you switched too have bearing problems if not why did you switch back?.

Am I biased, if it was wrong I would say, I have sold about 40 Sherco's and not one has had main bearing problems, the percentages just don't add up, in your case, when you say MRS say Sherco said they have never had problems anywhere in Europe, same applies to the USA.

Will some bikes have mains fail, YES! water, mud, dust, lack of lubrication, all can cause bearings to fail, is it a design problem or a maintenance problem, I found by doing correct maintenance to all the shercos owned by me not once have I had any bearing problems.

Do I know of any bikes with bearing problems? yes I do and I will try and get the pictures on here as soon as possible, no doubt why they failed.

This p***ing and moaning about any brand of trials bike, bad this bad that, just goes too far, You buy a machine that get thrown at rocks, covered in mud, thrashed dropped, abused in all sorts of ways, and cry and moan if it isn't perfect every time you go to get it out of the shed if you cleaned and lubed it after your last ride or not.

GET REAL :huh:

This p***ing and moaning about any brand of trials bike, bad this bad that, just goes too far, You buy a machine that get thrown at rocks, covered in mud, thrashed dropped, abused in all sorts of ways, and cry and moan if it isn't perfect every time you go to get it out of the shed if you cleaned and lubed it after your last ride or not.

GET REAL  :huh:

Steady on Ishy!! can't speak for 'British' but I'm only speaking as I'm finding, yes I know that our bikes get thrown at mud and rocks and all that crap BUT...ain't that what there built for???

I think that some bikes need looking at more than others, so far my Sherco is taking quite a bit of 'looking after'.

I have spoke to other Sherco owners at trials and they have had no problems with water or mains, so I guess my bike must have been made on a Friday afternoon :(

Ishy m8

I only contributed to this topic as lately some of my m8's who i ride with have switched to sherco's 3 in fact and I asked if there was a known design fault just so I could warn my friends to pay particular attention to related maintenance areas.

All three are really good nick theres one x '02 and two '03's. but the fact remains that the gearbox's are noisier than my '98 gasser which to me seems odd.

It has been known for brand new bikes to come out of the box with the noise.

And yes I agree that if British is an alias for someone wishing to stir it then its wrong.

The Trial today had no water in any of the sections!! but I did cover the airbox inlet up before I washed the bike and so far no water in the box, the real test will be a trial with a few streams thrown in.

Bad news, I had to retire after only 2 laps due to the silencer splitting along it's top seam :o:huh::(

Some how I think me and Sherco's just wern't made for each other!!