4rt Will Not Start

rhaines

Hi everyone.

I desparately need some help before a trip is needed to the dealer.My mate has just bought an 05 4rt and took it for its first outing today. Kicked over first time at the start, rode it fine for about half an hour, stopped for 5 mins for a drink and now it just will not start. We have now been trying for a good few hours to get it going but it does not want to know. I have taken the plug out and it is very slightly wet which I expected with kicking it over for so long without it firing, but it is in good nick with a good spark. I have cleaned and reseated all the connectors I can see but I dont know where to start now as I know nothing about 4 stoke bikes. can anyone help.... Oh, have tried kickin it with just a very small amount of throttle for a couple of mins then the rest of the time no throttle at all... B) cheers rich

i had a problem like this with my 05 4rt due to the fact it was

my first 4 stroke and not knowing the correct way to start the beast,

i removed the plug and put it in the oven not sure what gas mark but

just hot enough so you can refit it with out getting 3rd degree burns and she started straight away.

i also like the tick over on the high side and starting is now easy weather

shes cold or hot or even in gear.

B)

well, the initial experiences with this bike has sure been all over the map!!

personally...I've never had such a trouble free bike!!

far better than any carburated bike I've had.....until last week!

she just refused to start .....figured I'd try a new spark plug...kicked a few times no luck...so I cranked up the idle screw...took a torch to the spark plug to burn off unburnt fuel, and bingo!!!started right away!!!

I'm keeping the idle up to 1900 ........starts much better!!

there are many discussions on this forum on same topic..read them all , you'll find lotsa solutions ....main thing...start in neutral!!!!!!

Also check the electrics for water, if you are prone to power washing it. My mate had the same problem. Traced it to the connector block at the rear of the tank (it lies flat). Drained the connector bloch, spray of silicone spray, and bingo, away it went!!

Edited by monty-python

Thanks for the advice all.

I'm the mate of Rich's who was in his garage trying to start the "?%$ing thing whilst he had the sense to post this thread.

Back to Richards question, does anyone have any opinion on the ideal plug type for UK conditions ?

Cheers .. :)"better than them dirty 2 strokes"

By the way, just a note for those wanting 4rt parts - ordered a mitani bash plate from <mention of this company is not permitted on Trials Central> on tues PM and it arrived Wed AM .... Mint service.

I'm joining the 4rt Won't Start Club. I took my spark plug out just to check it and clean it. It was very sooty. Now the former 2-kick bike is one of those "pigs" to start. I am going to follow all the advice in this thread to see if it helps. However, why is it running so rich? Finally, see my post about the upside down fuel cap breather check valve. I don't know if that led to the richness and starting failures. I wouldn't think so if it had a carburetor, but fuel injection is new to me.

It's Friday and it still won't start. Soaking the plug in laquer thinner seemed to wake it up a little, but still no joy. A new plug is on the way.

Edited by hopkins92

I found mine a real pain in the a** last weekend (whilst at 'keep you feet up' hotel in Devon ... anyone else been there ??) cos it was taking 10 to 15 kicks to start !! I turned up the idle speed and this helped, but I also noticed my plug is very sooty ..... when I get a problem with the 4rt, i must admit I stand there scratchin my head wondering where to start, its gona take a bit of revision of the workshop manaual. Love the bike though, lovely power and suspension make it feel a lot lighter and nimble than it looks. my mate who rides a raga rep also got on it for the first time and looked like he'd been riding it five years throwing it all over the place. VIVA MONTESA... :blink:

After soaking the plug overnight in lacquer thinner and blowing it dry, I finally got the bike to start and run as before. It is very hard to get that tiny central insulator clean enough to prevent arcing to the side.

I've been told that for the UK climate and variance in ambient temprature, the bike starts better all round on a NGK:CR5EH-9 (R-type) ..... anybody any other thoughts / experiance ?

you should not have to resort to soaking the plug and getting hairdryers out, so i'd look at what is causing it to foul in the first place ? do you use 98 ron or above fuel ? ...