Trial bike buying advice, brands, spares,good bad etc?

Ginettaman

Looking for a bike for myself and a 125 starter for my son(12).  Budget is about £1500 each so it looks like mid to late 2000's models. So what do we look fork a SH bike as it's a bit of a mine field with bike types and brands. I am a good mechanic so don't mind some resto work occasionally.

Which bikes have the best spares availability ?

Are some parts unobtainable already?

Which are the easiest to get on with?

Which brands should be avoided?

Which models are the ones to search for and why?

Are certain engines used in a number of machines?

Are some bikes fragile?

How can you tell if a 2 stroke is knackered as many of them claim rebuilds?

Are bikes as good after a rebuild or never the same as I gues not all parts are replaced during builds?

Thanks everyone.

At that age and budget there will be more difference between individual bikes than brands.  Sadly the lockdown saw secondhand prices shoot up and now 1500 quid is a old banger.  Lots of people will have view on brands and models but you will be lucky to find anything half decent in your price range.

I am miserly and tight fisted and really wanted to stick to a couple of grand as a maximum but once you get hooked it sort of runs away with you.  (I have a 2022 TRS now....)

• Like 2

At that price it's more about condition than brand although someone may suggest avoiding certain makes at that age. Personally I'd be looking for beta evo 250 or 200 if there was one and a 125 for your son. Could get away with big wheel beta 80 but depending on his size of wouldn't last long.

2011 beta evo in good condition can be found from about 1900 . I would try to avoid the earlier rev 3, you would very quickly want something more up to date but maybe struggle to sell it on. With an older 2_stroke it's about listening to engine for unusual rattles and wines. A top end rebuild isn't too expensive but once start on full rebuild it defeats point of buying cheap bike. If it claims to be rebuilt you can see if any receipts etc. Suspension lineages hearings etc need checking. Even just new chain sprockets and tyres can add hundreds so you need to consider what needs doing. 

Just remember if you Get something too old and worn then take to trials you will quickly want something better but may struggle to sell a banger. There are good older bikes out there, I'd join a local club and ask around in club and at trials it's better to Get a recommendation and a bike from someone who knows about it than an anonymous buy it now from a sale site. Maybe speak to local trials dealer who usually know many local riders and may help.

I look at ebay quite a bit and yesterday (Friday) there were a huge number of new bikes listed.  I think the current problems with the economy have put people off buying for the time being.  In the summer anything nice went in a week.  The dealer I bought from could have sold my bike four or five times over and had dissapointed quite a few buyers by the time I picked it up on the Saturday (it listed on Tuesday).  However my trade in is still there.  Something has changed in the market for sure.  I have missed by a day or two several nice bikes in the last two years (still keeping an eye out for the wife's new bike)

BVM in Stroud seem to have had a lot of bikes turn up this week.  There is a Rev 3 at the target price. https://bvm-moto.co.uk/New and Used Trials Bikes?product_id=5457

Bear in mind this is a 20 year old bike.

I bought a Rev 3 as my bike #1 and they are OK.  Some of the bits are obselete and can be a problem - rear shock for example.  The back wheel also rubs the exhaust and wears out the ali casing.  This one is an odd capacity as well.

Personally I would find the extra and buy the 250 TRS https://bvm-moto.co.uk/New and Used Trials Bikes?product_id=5347

Good advice from @timdog - totally agree about rebuild costs/issues.

My sons now have a 2021 Beta Evo 125 we found from a local club member. The engine is stamped 2019 which has me worried its is a 2021? Sadly it has blown my budget big time but I thought as its a local lad we will mix with at trials then he should not rip us off. Several have recommended the Beta bikes but I reserve judgement.

We just had our first go in the garden today and the clutch didn't disengage and the bike shot off when put in gear? After it warmed up it is dragging less but to me it shouldn't drag at all so have I been diddled? I noticed its hydraulic but is there any adjustment on them to get it to disengage when cold??? One son has promptly fallen off but I guess that's normal and he is not used to a clutch. Both circled the garden a few times ok however.

Being an old bugger, I think for me I may look for a classic twin shock with a seat but the budget could be a problem!!

Beta clutch!! There is a thread on forums the beta clutch fix. Easy enough to do just takes time. Basically you need to remove glue deposits from plates.

Tip is to put bike in 3rd and rock back and forth with clutch pulled in to release from cold prior to starting. It's a common problem but made worse by bike standing unused. Some people leave the bike with clutch in and held in with a  rubber band but I'm not sure if that is advisable with the hydraulics.

Beta still the most common bike around

Change the gearbox oil for Putoline Nano Trans and this will help.  My wife's Beta this oil has been enough to solve the problem without the mechanical modifications.  The Beta 125 is a great bike for the lads and I am sure they will do fine once they get a bit more familiar with it.  Ride it a bit yourself before that twinshock - you are opening a can of worms there 😁

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 2 Betas in the past, a 4T and a 2T. They are a very competent bike but you're right, they shouldn't still have the clutch issues after 20 years of making basically the same thing. I did the "Beta Clutch Fix" on both my bikes but it was only a marginal improvement.

The 2T was not so bad. I had to hold the bike firmly on the brakes when first putting it into gear. Once warmed-up a bit it was a touch draggy but not really a problem.

The 4T was really bad from cold. I still remember the salesman launching towards the showroom window when trying to demonstrate it 😂. I used to put the front wheel against the wheel of my car and sit my weight on the bike when putting into gear from cold. Again it was OK when warm.

Welcome to the world of trials. You'll love it! While waiting for the right bike (or budget) for you, ride the 125. You'll be surprised how capable it is.

Yes it seems a good little bike apart from the clutch and starting problems we had. The light throttle is a little too sensitive for the learning boys so they are frightened of it at present. They will slowly get used to the clutch, throttle and standing up but a long way off completing yet. Lots more practice needed.