80's silencers

kaarelj

Hi Beta riders!

Is there any good alternative for Beta 80' jr and sr silencer? Like 2010 onward (maybe even earlier models)

Original is just piece of useless metal. Mounting will tear or break even on moderate use (I haven't seen a single unit which is not welded or fixed otherwise). It will immediately start scraping to tire. And in general quite loud, I'd prefer something more quiet.

Have you had a chance to replace it with something better?

If it was me, I'd try and work with the original units; I'd cut the mounting tab off and use modern universal metal band mounts like you see on new pit bikes.  When were the exhausts last repacked?  Always best to check that as a first course of action, most people don't bother.

If that didn't work then on a senior I'd try using a silencer from a 125 and use a silicone hose adapter at the join with the downtube.  On a junior, maybe something like jerry-rigging two pitbike silencers in series or something, like they do on "tuning" exhausts for 50cc scooters, lol

I never considered the rev80 a loud bike. Unless it's never had it's muffler repacked or a top job done on a high hour engine.

On ours I cut off the old mount and welded on a solid mount from 6mm aluminum.

The dumb rear frame guard/ muffler hanger I welded up once after lending it to a nephew who promptly went out and crashed it. If I had known it was going to break again after I had sold it then I would have added some extra triangulation into it to give it some proper strength.

The whole design needs a big freshen up and rework as it's mostly all 20+ year old stuff and it shows. 

• Like 2

I don't know how it would fit but FMF makes a very nice universal muffler in 2 sizes.  The smallest has a 1 1/8" ID.   I put one on a TY175 and it really quieted it down plus seems to have given it more power.  I like a quiet bike and could not stand riding the TY with OEM muffler.  The muffler could be shortened to fit.       

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fmf-universal-2-stroke-turbinecore-silencer

• Like 2

One thing I forgot to mention, pit bike silencers can be taken apart and packed like a 2-stroke one (at least, the two I've had access to), they look just like the FMF one but cost about 20 euros, lol.  For one I also added an extra baffle of smaller diameter to reduce noise though that only really made a difference at higher revs, near idle it was still noisy.

Actually, looking at that FMF one has inspired me to try adding a second box to my TY to cut down on the noise too.

• Thanks 1

Cheers, thanks for answers. Will post here, if some success 

"Loud" is not maybe the correct term. Annoying could be better term. Some new 125's are really nice and quite, but 80's are naturally high-pitched. And on the louder side.

Of course, cannot be compared to some empty-barrel 300s :)