Jap Spec Scorpa's

jools

Has anyone had a jap spec conversion done on their scorpa? I have a standard one at the mo and debating wheather to get it done. Do you find the bike still grips well or not? Is'nt the conversion a lighter flywheel and advance the ignition right up? I mainley want to know if it is harder to ride in slippy conditions....

Thanks for your help!

I have a jap spec 06 scorpa and I let a mate with a standard one try mine yesterday. He liked the additional power but didn't think it gripped as well as his. However I didnt like his standard one either as it didnt pick up quickly enough so i was opening the throttle to late to get up things. We decided we'd both keep the bikes we had. What problem are you trying to solve by changing your bike ?

What problem are you trying to solve by changing your bike ?

Thanks for the info. I have found that to make the scorpa go up anything remotly big, you have rev the tits off it in third, but then it will fly up - anything! Probably looking for the same feel as yourself, but if it starts losing traction performance then that would be a shame, coz its amasing for grip :blink: I probably need to get a lot more used to it, at the moment its complety standard uk bike.

As you said, its slightly slower on the pick up. I was just seeing what you thought about the conversion. The ideal situation would be to ride one i supose!!

Thanks again :P

Had my first official outing on my 04 sy on Sunday, and was most impressed!! dropping ony 6 marks to my arch nemisses's 30. Usually on my sherco he would always beat me by a good twenty points. Only mods ive done is retarded the ignition to the Yam settings and lifted the needle. My No2 son, who rides experts on a 270 BETA loves it but reakons it won't rev out like his BETA, saying that he reakons it'll always go where the BETA goes it just doesn't sound like it will make it!!! I myself don't ride anything to drastic, and would say making the bike more responsive would land me in trouble mind you i'll be trying out a 140 main jet next trial just to see!!!!

What problem are you trying to solve by changing your bike ?

Thanks for the info. I have found that to make the scorpa go up anything remotly big, you have rev the tits off it in third, but then it will fly up - anything! Probably looking for the same feel as yourself, but if it starts losing traction performance then that would be a shame, coz its amasing for grip :blink: I probably need to get a lot more used to it, at the moment its complety standard uk bike.

As you said, its slightly slower on the pick up. I was just seeing what you thought about the conversion. The ideal situation would be to ride one i supose!!

Thanks again :P

As you have to actually skim weight off the flywheel on a Scorpa as oppose to just taking a weight off like a Beta et al, why dont you experiment with the timing first as that wont cost anything to change back if you dont like it.

cheers Brad.

The difference between the "Racing" SY and the non touched up SY is very noticable from tick over right through to peak revs.

The best way for you to get a feel of the extra torque is to advance your timing progresively as Brad has mentioned,or borrow a Racing to feel the difference.

The most annoying thing I found with the Racing was its ease of stalling the motor at tick over.This can be kepted at bay by winding up your idle .

Obviously your skill level and ability to put down traction with the torque you gain will sway you to either keep advancing your timing or set about fitting a lightened flywheel if you feel you need or can handle more poke,or just remain with the settings you are more comfortable with.

The type of setions you ride (wet and slippy or plenty of traction)will also come into play.

After riding my 2004 Racing with timing retarded to original mark,(which made the motor quite docile,even with the lightend flywheel) and I had flywheel weights made up to experiment with my 2005 SY Racing.

The weight used was 260 grams which is around half of the total weight the Scorpa factory remove for the Racing SY flywheel.

I left the timing at the advanced position of the Racing and found this very comfortable over all.

Must mention that the Racing feels lighter and more nimble to the English version.

Jools,

I believe that Scorpa makes at least two different flywheels for the SY250. I have a SY250 Racing with a heavy flywheel. Mike Komer at the Tryals Shop (the US importer) Tryals Shop changes out the flywheels on bike to be ridden by new riders. You might ask him if he has any of the light flywheels laying around. If you turn down a flywheel make sure to have it done at a shop with good balancing equipment. Just sticking a flywheel in a lathe tends not to yield good results. I learned to ride (not to imply that I can ride) with the heavy flywheel and a slow throttle. I have just changed to a fast throttle and like the quicker response and I still have good traction.

Ciao

DFW

Thankyou all for your very helpful comments. I will try advancing the timing first on the standard flywheel like you all suggested and thanks dfwilson for your excellent suggestion too.

Strangely, the bike is fine on rocks and big steps, but tends to struggle slightly when going up slippy climbs (especially with tree roots like at the wallace cup last weekend!)it does'nt quite pickup the speed quick enough at the moment like the gassers used too. I will do this and let you know the outcome :P

ta! :blink:

had the ignition advanced on the standard flywheel and rode it on sunday. its made quite difference! it still grips the same but its more firey. i can compare it to a 250 gasser! very smooth on the bottom end and very progressive all the way up the revs! and has more top end!! sorted!!

thanks again for the suggestions.