How Often Do You Change Handlebars?

jeff geisen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While trimming the end of som Renthals, I noticed that the alloy was very hard and brittle. After cutting most the way around, I removed the cutoff with a SNAP. I did not think that even the 7075 alloy was that brittle and found that a bit scarey. Makes me wonder exactly what they are using. Too many reports of snapping without warning.

Seems like most of the breakage reports are with the Renthals as well, both new and old as described by the folks here.

For now,I am sticking with the stock Sherco/Domino bars. They have a thicker wall(require a different end plug) and WILL BEND as I have bent them before on my previous bike. If they get bent I will replace them immediately. I don't think they will snap off without prior damage, or at least I hope not. They are less expensive than the Renthals as well.

I do not want to have one of the crossbars sticking into my chest after the bar breaks.

It does make since that the tapered bars may be stronger than any as they are much larger in the mid section. As Wayne says, it takes some doing (and money) to modify the top clamps on the Sherco though.

Has anyone broken the Sherco/Domino bars without prior damage history?

MC :huh:

change em about every 3 months, or after a big crash landing on the bars. it's not worth the risk of mashing yer face and plus its a confidence thing. you can ride at 100% without the worry of em breaking on big hits.

Look at fugi's bars at sheffield, they were probably brand new!

Seems like most of the breakage reports are with the Renthals as well, both new and old as described by the folks here.

For now,I am sticking with the stock Sherco/Domino bars. They have a thicker wall(require a different end plug) and WILL BEND as I have bent them before on my previous bike. If they get bent I will replace them immediately. I don't think they will snap off without prior damage, or at least I hope not. They are less expensive than the Renthals as well.

Ive never snapped any handlebars...

Ive had Renthals all the time, aswell as Hebo's now and again, never snapped any of them, only bent them.

Surely it must be a fault in the material if they snap like that.

Perhaps, wherever Renthals are made ,had a bad batch of brittle metal,surely they should bend rather than snap.

I would have thought a young child would never put enough extreme force on their bars to snap them ,like Jeff Geisens son did

What about putting something inside the the bars to give it extra strength,like say `sand` ,and then with bar ends on ,it would keep it compressed inside.....just an Idea

I`m shopping around for new bars after reading this thread,even though i dont do extreme riding

BTW.Would ordinary bars fit into clamps made for tapered bars?

Regards

N

Last time this thread went around about a year ago there was a story about someone who tore open an artery on the broken handlebar stub, while flying over the front end on some sort of hairy maneuver. I layed awake nights worrying about it until I gradually forgot about it. Then one day while performing my duties as trials marshall at Jordan Creek, I had just finished my fifth 15 mile loop that day, including the terrifying descent down the "mainline" when the right handlebar gently come off in my hand while entering the car park. It would seem that someone is watching over me. There was no warning at all. That is spooky I think.