2021 TXT 250 Kickstarter Question

IndyJeff

I spent most of today riding my firs at trial bike, a new 2021 TXT 250.  I spent part of the day pushing the bike back to civilization after the kickstarter broke at its “ankle”  (at the shaft where it pivoted).  Granted, I was kicking away restarting after a rest, but I am surprised by this failure.  Are there stronger kickstarter levers than OEM or should I buy another OEM and be a bit more gentle?

You need to learn to start the bike. It should start in one or two kicks. The pro motor is strange. The kick start gear is only about a half moon shape. Where most are 360 degree's. I have not heard if a starter breaking in years. I had the first 300 Raga ever sold, 109 out if 109 - 400 in 2004. My son broke it in my yard. He was about 5 feet off the ground and jumped off during a crash and knocked it open and it broke upon impact. But then again he endoed off a ledge in my front yard, knocked the chain off and wrapped the chain around the front sprocket. Broke two gears in the tranny.

The Gasser is not the most robust design. We both ride Montesa's now.

OK friends, I spent another day getting acquainted with my GG and with trials riding.  I installed my new OEM kickstart lever and had no issues.  It helps me (lots) to stand on a milk crate, rock, ledge, etc. to start the bike.  It allows far more leverage and, as someone suggested, a sharper kick.  I’m working on the whole throttle open-Throttle half-open, etc. thing as I haven’t regularly started a two-stoke by kicking in 40+ years, but I’ll get there.  

Thanks for the comments, folks.  Good to know there are people willing to help and not just tell me what dumbass I am for asking for help (even if that’s what you’re thinking!).

Peace.