What do you eat and drink at a trials event?

endurofinn

Just wondering, what do you guys and gals eat days prior an event and during an event?

I load up on good carbs and fluids few days before the event, and eat small healthy snacks throughout the day of the trials. Water and something like Gatorade during, water and magnesium before.

I used to eat a massive carb breakfest on the morning of the trials, but feeling a lot better with the current, lighter way of eating.

I seem to struggle with cramps from time to time on the last 5-10 sections of a trials, other than that I feel pretty good.

How about you guys? Always looking for new tips and tricks.

• Like 1

Club trials normally like to carb up with a few pre-match ‘sports beers’ on the Saturday night. Perhaps a few glasses of vino too. Then a good coffee and a bacon sarnie at the event. Works a treat ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me the big helper is hydration at least a day before I use a couple of Liquid I.V.'s in a 30 oz. bottle of water and drink that with extra water trying to total at least 100 oz in that pre-ride day and then do a min of 100 oz per day of the event with the same 30 oz. of water to the Liquid I.V.'s each ride day or more if its hot and I am really working hard. 

As for food I just try to keep the food healthy with a mix of good carbs to fats for the first couple days before and lean a bit more on the carbs side for the day of the event and a mixed dinner each night during the event.  Seems to work well enough for me. 

Up to breakfast time on trial day, I just eat normally. I take a bottle of 50/50 orange juice and water to drink during the event. If it's a hot day I'll need to supplement that with more water. I don't eat during a trial: it's only 3 hours! After the trial I might be tempted by the burger van. If not I'll eat a banana or apple on my way home and perhaps a Mars bar if it hasn't melted in the car.