Tire Studs

lemur

8 hours ago, lemur said:

Anybody else riding grip-studs to extend your riding season?  

We rode all winter on them last winter. It worked well at the edge of the season but as soon as there was any significant snow we were relegated to the plowed driveway. Was pondering whether throwing on some dirt bike tires might help in the snow, although at that point maybe it’s easier to just stud up the dirt bikes instead. 

• Like 1

Do both!  Trials bikes have a great advantage the more ice there is and enduro bikes do way better in the deeper snow, the enduro bikes crash way more spectacular.  I run 1740 grip studs on spent trials tires, same studs they use in the front tire on an enduro knobby.  I ride sheet metal screws on the front tire except for a row of 1740 studs down the middle row of knobs and that works great as long as there's not too much powder snow.  The enduro bike rear knobby can run the really long grip studs which is what makes them better in the deep snow.   Great thing is; with global warming we see more sleet and freezing rain then snowfall here now, so we ride every time the temperature is above minus double-digit freezing. ...  at ~-20C  motorcycle tires freeze and disintegrate so I don't ride in the extreme cold any more.

Y'all should try it if you possibly can, it's incredible fun and great practice for staying in shape over the winter months highly recommended.  Grip studs are not cheap, they cost around a buck and a half each and a knobby can hold over 300 of them but studs last several years when you can thread them out and install them into a different tire.

• Like 1

We were using the 1740s in the rear and screws in the front. We found we started losing screws a couple weeks in to it but the grip studs stayed in good. It was very good on ice and up to about 3-4 inches of snow. Deeper than that the trials tires just packed in with snow and became useless.

We'll see what the bank account dictates closer to winter. It really did curb the winter blues just being able to freeze our fingers off practicing figure 8s up and down the driveway. The MTGA videos also has me thinking it could be fun if we could get a group of trials riders in the Eastern Ontario area to rent out an arena or barn somewhere for a couple evenings a week. Could make up some portable obstacles and set up quick sections.

I am in eastern Ontario!  several of the area riders have indoor riding barns or sheds organized for next season, I built my retirement home in the middle of my riding area, so open the door on the heated garage and I'm already at the best riding spot in the country 😎 I keep about 12km of hard enduro type trail open, same trails I rode today actually. 

@apriljo do I already know you?  are you April as in April that rides a brand new GasGas

• Like 1

I always rode enduro bikes in the winter on screws or studded tires, and a dirt track bike with full ice racing tires on the lake. It seemed natural to me when I started riding trials 6 years ago, to figure out some studded tires for winter. However... I ended up not doing it, but do ride all winter without studding up. I ride at the Tryals Shop with the owner Mike Komer. We shovel and snow blow a couple of sections all winter long. If it gets icy, we spread a little sand around. The lower traction really makes you work on being smooth, with momentum, timing, and body position, as going to the throttle is not a great option. You ride smaller obstacles, but you're still getting a work out, and improving your skills for the wet riding coming next season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lemur said:

I am in eastern Ontario!  several of the area riders have indoor riding barns or sheds organized for next season, I built my retirement home in the middle of my riding area, so open the door on the heated garage and I'm already at the best riding spot in the country 😎 I keep about 12km of hard enduro type trail open, same trails I rode today actually. 

@apriljo do I already know you?  are you April as in April that rides a brand new GasGas

Yeah that’s me. I’ve been caught red-biked!

I didn’t know there were riding barns in the works. We’ll have to chat in person about who’s got the winter hookups and how we can help out or get involved. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• 2 months later...

1 hour ago, Dropsix said:

Debating studding the trials bike as well...How many are recommended for the rear tire?

Fill all of the middle 3 rows of knobs with carbide grip studz, for the 2 outside rows of knobs you can use sheet metal screws with crazy glue to hold them in better, the front tire works good with carbide grip studz on every knob in the middle row and for the rest of the knobs run sheet metal screws.  Don’t leave any knobs as plain rubber or you will crash.

Goal when riding on ice is to stay on the pegs 100 % of the time and spin the tires as little as possible, avoid bare rock surfaces and aim for the ice, logs and frozen ground for the best traction.  Don’t ride in double digit minus freezing weather or the tires will crack and the knobs will fall off.  😎 it’s a blast and great practice, you won’t regret it.   You won’t lose any grip studz but some of the metal screws will fall out and need replacement or reinstallation.  Needs something like 300 studs for the rear and another 100 for the front, buy the sheet metal screws in bulk packs of 1000 so your investment will be somewhere around 800$ canadian 

I use worn out trials tires from the previous summer season and those last one winter.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 2:54 PM, lemur said:

Fill all of the middle 3 rows of knobs with carbide grip studz, for the 2 outside rows of knobs you can use sheet metal screws with crazy glue to hold them in better, the front tire works good with carbide grip studz on every knob in the middle row and for the rest of the knobs run sheet metal screws.  Don’t leave any knobs as plain rubber or you will crash.

Goal when riding on ice is to stay on the pegs 100 % of the time and spin the tires as little as possible, avoid bare rock surfaces and aim for the ice, logs and frozen ground for the best traction.  Don’t ride in double digit minus freezing weather or the tires will crack and the knobs will fall off.  😎 it’s a blast and great practice, you won’t regret it.   You won’t lose any grip studz but some of the metal screws will fall out and need replacement or reinstallation.  Needs something like 300 studs for the rear and another 100 for the front, buy the sheet metal screws in bulk packs of 1000 so your investment will be somewhere around 800$ canadian 

I use worn out trials tires from the previous summer season and those last one winter.

Thanks for that. I don't think I'd be using sheet metal screws, I'd be riding in my yard for the most part, the thought of spreading screws all over kinda sucks haha. 

So about 1000$ to stud with grip studs then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dropsix said:

..So about 1000$ to stud with grip studs then. 

Close to that yes, once you add the tax, shipping and the special tool.  Up side is they will last for many years.  We ride the same terrain as in summer, the studs are wicked fun and great practice for riding over logs on any angle and really steep hill climbs ️ I find most of the screws in spring and reuse them, the rest disappear into the ground because they are only about 3/8” long once you cut them to length.

Not sure how well they would work but there is self tapping carbide tire studs? Example: https://www.aerostich.com/self-tapping-carbide-tire-studs.html

Just not sure what level of retention they would have in trials tires as I suspect they are designed more for street tires. 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jonnyc21 said:

Not sure how well they would work but there is self tapping carbide tire studs? Example: https://www.aerostich.com/self-tapping-carbide-tire-studs.html

Just not sure what level of retention they would have in trials tires as I suspect they are designed more for street tires. 

Those are almost exactly what grip studz look like.  Auger thread vs screw  is what makes them stay in good.  With grip studz the carbide tip is more apparent.  Those would work great and if they are less expensive I would give them a go 👍

• Like 2

• 1 month later...