New bike, scorpa, trs, gasgas

josh120

Hey , I’m planning on buying a newer bike, I have the option of a 22 scorpa, a 20 gasser and a 20and21 trs all 250! I currently have a 2012 gasser myself and do really like it!

interested particularly on how the scorpa handles as I haven’t swung my leg over one just yet! (I have on newer gasgas and trs)

also interested if someone knew how they would all handle comparatively!

I believe gasgas have quite a slack head angle and feel nice and stable I like this

cheers!

TRS will have the more rigid frame and handles superlative because of it, the TRS foot peg mounting brackets are bolted to the frame making it more serviceable.  On the other models the foot peg brackets are part of the frame.  TRS generally command a slightly higher price & TRS has the best dealer support where I live, ymmv.

• Like 1

I can't comment from experience, but I've heard Sherco, Scorpa and TRS are the three snappiest motors. That can be good and bad. I love my TRS response, but it does make really smooth throttle control in slippery conditions a bit harder and it stalls a little easier than my previous Betas, I suspect mostly due to the Beta flywheel being heavier. Good clutch control solves both. The advantage, from my perspective, is that the throttle timing window is a bit bigger.

The TRS build is, as everyone says, excellent. Very few annoyances at all. Little details like the built in frame guards, easy access to the linkage bolts, tidy oil drain etc. This is worth a lot in my book. I once had a 13 Sherco that was the exact opposite, nothing seemed to be well detailed, the quality control was nigh on non-existent and I was constantly annoyed by little (and big) things that weren't right. When it was running right it was nice enough I suppose, but that felt like the outlier.

TRS handling is really good I think, although it does seem to reward good technique and somewhat punish poor. My riding stepped up a notch as a result. It rewards a rearward weight bias and punishes you if you move forward over the front. Some people talk about the TRS pushing the front more in turns, I find that tendency a little if I am too forward, but move back again and it just floats over and through anything. I have the RR and the suspension is fantastic, it just does what it should without any fuss and again, I feel it really rewards good input.
I feel like the TRS is slightly louder than some bikes - some people love the sound, I'd prefer silent. Compared to the Beta the TRS has slightly more vibration - not a big deal, but it is noticeable.

Not quite a straight answer to your questions, but maybe it helps in some way.

• Like 2

My wife has a 2023 TRS and I had a 2021 GasGas that I ended up trading in for a 2023 GasGas. Personally when I traded up I was very tempted by the estart TRS. To my amateur riding I find the feel of the bikes very similar. The new fender on the gasgas is just 🥰 and lured me in. I love my new gasgas.

Some people don’t like the frame of that generation of gasgas because of the angle in the airbox. It never bothered me  much, my boots mostly took the brunt of it. I broke the gear lever a few times. They seem to be weak, but I’d rather break the lever than the gears. Also there’s a trick to easy start the gassers. You probably already know this but search the gasgas threads for it if you don’t. 

The TRS is also a lovely bike. If you tend to loop the bike out much you might be replacing a lot of fenders. They don’t take to bending backwards very well. Really, aside from breaking lots of plastic parts we haven’t had any issues with the TRS. It is a slightly more expensive bike than the gasgas new, but I’m not sure there’s a lot of extra value add for the increase. 

I don’t think you’d go wrong choosing either bike. I’ve never rode a scorpa so can’t speak to it. 

Edited by apriljo
  • Like 1

Perhaps the deafening silence is indicative of Scorpa ownership levels?
That of itself would make me consider the brand very carefully - more common bikes are usually easier to get parts, easier to get advice and may possibly get the inevitable bugs worked out earlier simply due to statistical likelihood of the issues recurring often enough for the factory to find it worth fixing. I know here in my part of Australia they are rare as hen's teeth.

A side note - I rode a '22 Vertigo for the first time yesterday. Such a different feel to the TRS. Reminded me more of my old GasGas, except new and a real tractor engine down low. Far more "planted" front end. I reckon I'd likely drop less points on this than on my TRS to be honest, but I wouldn't swap simply because the TRS feels so very much more "playful" (both I and the Vertigo owner said exactly the same thing). TRS feels lighter, hops feel far easier, spins up quicker ... just all around more lively. Last year I spent around 94% of my time playing and 6% riding events - it's a no-brainer to me to ride the bike that gives me the most enjoyment for that 94%.

20 hours ago, apriljo said:

The TRS is also a lovely bike. If you tend to loop the bike out much you might be replacing a lot of fenders. They don’t take to bending backwards very well. Really, aside from breaking lots of plastic parts we haven’t had any issues with the TRS. It is a slightly more expensive bike than the gasgas new, but I’m not sure there’s a lot of extra value add for the increase.

Cut off most of the hook that clips to the airbox so it can unclip fairly easily, use cable ties or soft plastic pins in the rear mounts and replace the front bolt with a nylon one (sometimes I even put a small saw cut under the head to ensure it snaps). Then the whole guard just pops off without damage when you loop out. Keep a couple of spare cable ties poked into the bar pad or somewhere.

I've ridden a friend's '21 Scorpa 250 in sections and it steers and handles great and is very easy to balance on and the brakes work great and the suspension is lovely and the motor, which has a higher compression head, is quite responsive but easy to manage. The footpeg location feels great too and the clutch is also very nice to use. The bike also feels very light to ride. I like riding Shercos too.

The owner of the Scorpa is pretty much exactly my size (5'10" 95 kg) and I can jump straight on it from one of my twinshocks and it instantly feels good and easy to ride so I would say that is a sign of a forgiving modern bike.

• Thanks 1