2023 Gas Gas TXT 300

Butch

On 8/4/2023 at 8:10 PM, Butch said:

Okay guys so the only way to shut this bike down is to pull the magnet. I didn't know anything about magnets other than they attract each other 😆 and I'm not going to wear this magnet out pulling it off and putting it back on to start it right? I've owned 8 different bikes since 1973 and they all had a button. The Enduro Yamahas had a key if I remember correctly. You guys can send some of your rain here to Western Pennsylvania it's pretty dry here 

Welcome to the wacky world of trials!  You will find that things are a little different here, like our kill switches.
I would recommend using the lanyard on your left wrist. If (when) you tip the bike over onto its right side and the engine is revving to the moon, a quick jerk of your left hand away from the handlebar will stop the runaway beast.

A bit more detail: the magnet is in the red cap thing.  The switch is in the black part attached to tha handlebar  Neither should wear out.  That said, another thing that will inevitably happen is your magnet being launched off of your wrist and into the tall weeds by the elastic strap.  This is when a spare magnet waiting on the end of a convenient bolt comes in very handy (ask me how I know).

A fellow by the name of David Scarbro sells a variety of trials-related do-dads in his Etsy shop:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MotoTrialsParts

Among them, a magnet cap that is larger in diameter than the switch base and straps that are not elastic.  The former makes it easy to tip the magnet a bit and kill the engine.  The latter is less likely to slingshot the magnet into your nose than the elastic strap (again, ask me how I know). There is also a gadget to make the foot on you kick stand larger. 

Enjoy!

MonzaVair

Edited by MonzaVair
  • Thanks 1

Thank you MonzaVair. Thanks for that Etsy link. That guy has some really cool stuff. I already have 2 lanyards and 2 caps in my shopping cart. I really went crazy on colors lol. I believe my kill switch is Leonelli. New Gas Gas. It says his caps fit Leonelli and Jitsie. I would never have found him because I was never on Etsy. So thanks again. Your username is cool. Like a Monza Corvair hybrid lol. Yeah I'm an old car guy too 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 7:29 AM, Butch said:

I just bought a new TXT 300 and I've read the manual several times but a few things are unclear to me. Is the magnetic kill switch the only way to shut the engine off on this bike? I can't find anything about it in the manual. So you have to pull the magnetic lanyard to shut bike off? Will that wear the magnet out? Other bikes I have owned and even snowmobiles have the lanyard for safety and still have a kill button. Second question. My book suggests 67:1 oil mix ratio. I bought motorex Cross power t2 and that leads me to my final question. What kind of gas should I use? The manual suggests super unleaded 98 octane? Best I can find is 93 at the pump. Should I use race fuel? And to confuse me even more the dealership told me never use ethanol blended gas. I do have non ethanol gas near me but it's only 90 octane. Please help. I'm recovering from throat cancer surgery and can't wait to get out on this bike 😊 I want to use the right fuel in it. I'm only going to be riding around slow doing small obstacles and a lot of tight trails. thanks in advance 

Hi Butch,

I am also a newbie with the TXT 300 Racing. We have spoken before I believe.  I am an older guy and also had a bout with cancer.  Looks like most of your questions were answered.  Non-ethanol fuel in the 90 plus octane range is good.  I run race gas.  Anywhere from 94 to 110.  Depends on what I can get.  I use redline 2t oil.  If I recall, that is what was recommended in the manual.  I could be wrong on that of course.  You will not wear out the magnet.  I have gotten used to it.  I thought about switching to a traditional teathered kill switch but am sticking with the magnet.  It is super simple and will not ever break.  I have had traditional kill switches go south. pay attention to your tire pressures.  Keep them low.  Use the recommended pressure in the book. How are you doing starting the beast?  She needs a pretty healthy straight down kick.  lol

• Thanks 1

Hi there captain Bob! Yes we did talk on utube.  I enjoy your videos. I haven't tried to start it yet. Still doing therapy on my leg where they cut muscle out of my thigh to rebuild my esophagus. That left leg is coming along. I'm doing a lot of squats and I live in a 2 story house so I'm doing steps a lot. I hope it doesn't get gummed up from dealer prep. Hey we have so much in common buddy. My email is motocross066@yahoo.com  send me an email and I will share my number if you want it. I can't talk but we can text. Thanks so much for sharing the info with me. I have 2 non ethanol stations near me, both  90 octane ethanol free. I'm using motorex Cross power t2. It's basically the same oil your using. I also bought a Domino slow throttle that requires a lot more twist to get in trouble. I ordered a spare magnet too just in case. I like to buy from the Tryals shop, Locke NY. It's an awesome place! The people are beyond helpful and friendly. Very nice husband and wife run business. Great people! He gives lessons to. You can rent a bike from him instead of hauling your bike up there there. Shipping is usually 3 day it's fast compared to some others. I hope to take a road trip up there after things settle for me and treatments are over. 253 miles from my house. Would make a fun weekend! Be safe my friend and you can email me if you wish.

I can’t recommend wearing the lanyard enough. My wife and I have both had the bikes end up on top of us when trying out new things. My wife has a scar on her belly from the rear tire still spinning. If she didn’t have the lanyard that day she’d be dealing with way more than a scar. We put them on our dirt bikes too. I use it on my left wrist so I can pause to balance and swat the mosquitoes with my throttle hand. 

• Like 2

I'm also the newbie owner of a new 2023 TXT 300 Racing.  My previous trials bike experiences were on an old Ossa 250. I always wanted a newer trials bike, and the timing and price was right on this bike.  Power-wise, this bike is a totally new world.  I've surprised/startled myself several times in the back yard.  lol  I've got the slow throttle tube and have bought (but not installed yet) a larger rear sprocket (to slow things down) and a low compression head. I'd like to calm the bike down a bit until I get my brain/body recalibrated.   I'd also like to buy or fab a basic seat, so I can sit while riding and get used to the bike's power before doing more serious stand-up trail riding. 

I'd like to wire in a kill button and maintain the magnetic switch. I have also worried about the little magnet going flying off into the tall grass or mud.

I'm running 90 octane zero-ethanol gas.   I'm curious what fuel/oil mixture ratio I should use during break-in.

GG2.jpg

• Like 1

Hey there Scottro, thanks for the reply. The owners manual on the 2023 TXT 300 calls for 67:1 oil ratio for both break in and after she's broken in. There are 2 seat options available for the bike. I bought a Jitsie universal trials motorcycle seat. It's only Velcro but it's tight on the bike. You still sit low but I can sit with my feet on the pegs and I have a bad leg. Also gas gas makes a seat for the bike but if your bike is a 2023 don't buy it. It's fits 2022 down. It's a bolt on seat and KTM redesigned the plastic a little and the bolt hole doesn't line up on a 2023. Gas Gas said they are going to release one soon for this bike. Or your best option if you can is to fabricate one like you said. If your able I would do that and you can design it any way you want. I also bought a Domino slow throttle and I ordered the Jitsie bearing for the cable to ride on. It's super smooth compared to the plastic wheel. I have a low compression head and insert in my wish list at trials superstore but I have to wait. I've spent so much money in the past few months I have to put that on hold for a few months lol. So happy riding. I love my bike and I'm still recovering from cancer surgery, so as soon as I feel stronger I'm going to take her out. I had a 2002 Montesa that I bought new in NY and enjoyed that bike so much too. I'm not a serious trials rider. I like doing logs and rocks and riding tight trails in the woods. Be safe my friend 

I use a bright yellow parachute cord in place of the elastic for my lanyard. It doesn’t self-propel into my face or the bushes that way and if I do drop it I can easily find it. Bright pink would probably work better but I used what I had. I also hide an iridium magnet inside the frame of my bike just in case. I think the magnet switch connects ground when the lanyard is off, so you could probably unplug it or cut the wire in a pinch too, but then you’re looking at stalling the bike to stop it.

I’ve heard that adding a washer under the spark plug is a good cheap way to tame the 300s down, but I’ve never tried it. I used a 9 tooth front sprocket for my first couple of years riding to tame the bike down and help learn clutch control and full lock turns. I recently went back to the 10 tooth because I’m starting to look for the extra power and pep in my learning progress. Easy to change and not overly pricy.

• Like 1

I got a one tooth smaller front sprocket, but didn't notice much difference, so I opted for the larger rear and a new chain. I keep forgetting to download and print out the owners manual.  

I hadn't thought of shimming the spark plug to reduce compression.  I've done that in the past in attempt  to stop a bike from pinging, but didn't think it made much power difference. 

The low compression head and liner doesn't mention how much it lowers things. Supposedly, this bikes factory head accommodates aftermarket liners. But I got both new head and liner, because I didn't know. GasGas are rare bikes in Western Pennsylvania.  I'm the only person I know who has one!  

Anybody know the torque specs for the head bolts?

Has anyone found a service manual yet?

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Glad I found this thread!

• Like 1

Scottro, I'm in Portage Pennsylvania, I bought my TXT 300 from 5 star Yamaha KTM Suzuki Husqvarna and they gave me a great deal. Duncansville PA. I wonder now if my cylinder head can accept the inserts? Have to read up on that. You can get a free digital owners/service manual on Gas Gas main website. You have to look around on there and you will see a link for owners manual. I think it's near the bottom of the page under customer service or something similar. Make sure you download the English version lol. I didn't and had to go do it again. You can also order the print version from KTM through the Gas Gas website but it's $25 to buy and $27 to ship from Austria? I think that's where it came from. I ordered one, it's a lot of money but when I'm working on something I hate playing with a phone or laptop and my printer is broken. Man! We might be neighbors lol

Hey Butch.  I'm in Pittsburgh. We're about 2 hrs apart.  Not horrid, by PA standards.  lol   When I noticed one priced at $6199 at a local-ish dealer I was skeptical.  I called, and their setup fees were reasonable, so I  confirmed the price and grabbed it.  I have been kicking myself for not jumping on a Honda/Montesa that I saw on sale a few yrs back, but hesitated and lost.   The dealer is Waynesburg Yamaha.  They are very easy to deal with.  They still have a GP 300 for $7699, btw, if anyone's interested.  I think it's the same engine with much upgraded suspension.  (Which I lack the talent to appreciate, I figure.)

I'll download the manual and print it out.  Half a ream of paper and some laser toner is cheaper than factory prices.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 48 tooth rear sprocket for my bike.  It installed fine and I got a new, longer chain that I'll need to fit.  The issue I'm running into is the OEM chain tensioner is too close to the swingarm for the much larger sprocket.   Really, it needs to extend downward 2-3 inches to be properly located.   I hate to bypass it, and have the chain jump and destroy the engine case by wadding up at the countershaft.    Are there other chain tensioners available, or is this bike Just. Too. New.?

• Like 1

I'm not sure about an aftermarket chain tensioner Scottro? I know there are a lot of things new about the bike because I bought a seat kit from Gas Gas and it didn't fit. The bolt hole for the bracket is way off and I come to find out that the seat kit fit the 2022 but not the 2023. They did redesign a lot of stuff on the 23s. In hoping the aftermarket catches up on the new models, even Gas Gas doesn't seem to have a lot available for the new design. Did you install an hour meter on your bike? I'm just curious because I'm thinking about putting an hour meter on mine to track the maintenance. Gear oil changes stuff like that. The dealership where I bought the bike has one down there and I watched videos they look really easy to install. 1 wire around the plug wire and no hard wiring. Man I love these trials bikes! I always did actually. All of them. I'm not a trials rider but I sure have fun just playing on the bike on the old coal piles and tight trails. You would love riding down here. We have so many cool places to go. You name it, trails, hills, even the guys at 5 star powersports haul bikes up here to ride. 

Hey Butch.  I don't have an hour meter, but sounds like a good idea.  Right now. I'm limited to riding around in a fairly tight backyard.  I just want to slow the bike down so I'm not eating the privacy fence or riding the clutch 90% of the time.  Lol. My yard's a bit too tight for much other than a trials bike or pit bike.  Later in the month, I'll get it up to some property in Clarion county, where there's a lot more space on 60 acres.   I'm also just a very casual trail rider.  Slow, nimble, and light bikes interest me.  

Edited by Scottro
Grammar