No start 4ride

pug

So a 17 plate 4Ride with 230 miles only dont ask its one of 4 bikes i use for green laneing and it gets an easy life I have had it from new. So last year did the MOT only time the bike went out bike started no problem did an hour play then put it away ready for use. so i then fall ill and cant ride for the entire year so pull it out this year as I'm back and fight fit the bloody thing wont start did the reset thing  loads of times fuel smells ok spark ok  and looks to be wet it will fire with a blast of carb cleaner in the plug hole when put back in where do I go from hear. body work off and get at the injector or is there a quick trick as problem looks to be fuel

Super easy to check your fuel pressure and rule that out.  Two methods are covered in the service manual, one that requires a gauge and one that requires no special tools.

Set your valve clearances, don't just look at them to be close, physically set them precisely as you can.  (You need to drop the engine part way to do it and you need a micrometer handy to test your feeler gauges and get a feel for the correct clearance.)

Owned 3 4RT's at the same time, one did not start when I was about to begin a competition and I had to use my back-up ride.  After that I took parts from the other bikes and swapped absolutely everything physically possible with no joy.  Once I determined it was nothing fuel or spark related I set the valves very carefully and precisely as possible and it worked perfect since.  Same problem eventually happened with three 4RT's out of the five that I've owned since 2005.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cleanorbust said:

Yes, adjust idle setting upwards. (Common cause of starting problems on 4rt).

Absolutely the idle needs to be set correct and you can't touch the throttle when you kick it over 👍 

• Like 2

Idle is one turn out have had it all places up to three turns out still no fire till you spray carb cleaner in the air box then she run's. what can i poke at on the throttle body it cant be getting fuel either to it or in it.Help an old man who's better with a carb than this injection stuff tools will go flying soon 

Ok went in deep tank off fuel pipe off then half a can of carb cleaner in the tank left for half hour pint of fuel on top then the bitch started second kick. its never dun this to me before still lesson learned don't leave it sitting for 12 months

• Like 2

Running is good 👍 race fuel has a better shelf life if you're going to leave it stand for ages.  Fuel filters are super expensive because they want to sell it with a fuel pump included.