2023 TXT300 Racing -- Anybody find a decent seat

Scottro

Hello.  Has GasGas or anybody else released a seat for this bike?  Does the 2022 version fit?  Otherwise, have any of your folks devised a nice DIY version?   Has anyone adapted a Long Ride kit from Sherco or Beta?

At one time, GG made a bike called the Contact. Made it in the 90's and around 2017, 18.   The latter ones came with a seat. Look at a 2017 Contact. Don't know if it will fit.  I have a Contact. The seat is very weak. I modified my seat to give it some support at the rear where it is very weak. It flexes  too much in the center putting stress at each attachment point.  At best it is a touch above poor. One problem is that trials bike don't have a sub-frame to hold it up, I don't suggest much weight on it. It needs support in the center in addition to front and rear support. Interesting, the Contact came with a bigger tank. I thought it might be fun to be able to go on longer rides. 

The 23 gg has such a different rear mudguard design and shape to the previous contact, i dont imagine retrofitting another year or brand being easy. I even struggle to imagine how you could fix it at the rear without drilling holes in your nice mudguard

Edited by faussy

8 hours ago, faussy said:

The 23 gg has such a different rear mudguard design and shape to the previous contact, i dont imagine retrofitting another year or brand being easy. I even struggle to imagine how you could fix it at the rear without drilling holes in your nice mudguard

Looked at the 23 GG. It is not a direct fit. If someone is very talented, they could come up with something. I just quit using mine. Still have the bike. The Contact is a great started bike, but, I was hoping I could use it for doing trail maintenance. The seat would be fine on pavement. Too weak for rough ground. If someone wanted to come up with something, it will need support in the middle. Too much flex in the middle.

I figured I'd have to drill holes in the (truly) beautiful rear mudguard, so I bought a spare. Honestly, this bike's plastics are the nicest I've ever seen on any bike or quad. The notion of drilling holes in the fender is tough to wrap ones head around. Lol.  I have seen photos of a Contact, but trials bikes (GasGas or otherwise) are rare around here.  I would enjoy electric start, since this bike is a challenge in that regard. 

Edited by Scottro
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know the 23 is different than my 21 as far as fender and mounting options, but I bought a $20 tall CRF50 pit bike seat from Amazon and made it work on my 21 TXT 250.  Took about 30 minutes to modify the base a bit with a heat gun and drill some holes.  I'de like to make a key slot and post for the front, but for now it's bolted in the rear using the factory fender hole/screw (you would probably have to drill a hole in your fender) and the front is held down with a red zip tie and it's pretty solid.  I did pack out the bottom with rubber so it doesn't flex when I sit on it.  It's not as factory looking as the GG contact seat but for $20 I'm happy to have something to sit on that doesn't look horrible.   And forget the Jitsie "seat" it's more comfortable to sit on the airbox!

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

seat4.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YRF7CY6?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

2023-09-07_21-56-51.png

Edited by katoom400

37 minutes ago, Scottro said:

That looks pretty sharp, Katoom!   I hadn't considered bending that front bracket flat...   That's a great idea, really.   Thanks!

You are welcome!  My buddy has a 23 and I just noticed it has the fender bolt in the front, so you may be able to do the same thing i did just with the seat backwards.  I added some Velcro under the front today and it's really solid now.

• 5 months later...

I mulled this over for a long time and used some ideas from Katoom400 and posts in another thread. 

I took the seats off various bikes in my garage, set them on the GasGas  and eyeballed them for rough fit. 

I ended up deciding that a later-model Honda CR250 seat looked/fit about the best. So I got an aftermarket copy of the Honda seat for reasonable $$ and I cut some bumps from the bottom to fit the GasGas tank area. 

I considered removing the seat cover and foam, attaching mounting hardware to the pan and recovering the seat but decided to wing it this time and just drill straight thru the seat cover and foam for attachment bolts. 

I drilled two bolt  holes in the rear fender and used the existing GasGas front bolt hole.  I supported the seat's midsection with chunks of closed-cell foam from a Home Depot Husky Knee Pad. And I secured the midsection with a flat bungee cord stretched over the seat from footpeg mount to footpeg mount.  The bungee has small carabineers instead of hooks. (This needs to be redone more cosmetically in future, but for now is very solid.). 

To prevent the bolts from pulling thru the seat, distribute hold down force, and prevent injury, I made "washers"(??) from plastic cutting boards. (These also need a cosmetic make-over). 

For now. This setup is very solid and comfy enough for longer trail rides.

received_308009005202968.jpeg

It's still in rough prototype mode, so forgive the makeshift workmanship. It's a work in progress. But it's very solid and rideable as-is.     The headlight is also a fitting experiment.  

76636458958489580181707952212605.jpg

71813451069979729331707952225506.jpg

11176848102657807791707952311587.jpg

Edited by Scottro
  • Like 1