Understanding an older serial number

SteveCullis

Newbe here,

I’m interested in buying my first real trials bike. I’m 64, and been dirt riding for 54 years. I raced scrambles in ‘72 and ‘73… but competing in that form wasn’t my cup of tea, I preferred finding a difficult gulley or steep gravel pit walls to learn technically challenging skills instead of all that fast stuff. Did all that stuff on run-of-the-mill dirt bikes,

now I have a chance to buy this machine, and want to learn as much about it before I do, ,,,

so tp start off, what does the serial number tell me about this machine 

DA53E266-9B4D-4B72-8C79-A2A2C14A3C54.jpeg

I bet it's a JTX270 from 1997 but you could tell a lot more if you could see the rest of it, front brake is candidate for upgrade, does it start easy and run good 👍 that's the main thing.  Compression test is always a good way to start evaluating an engines condition if that is an option.

Ok, thanks,two answers for 1997. I see 97 in the serial number.

so are parts available to freshen up the top end? Or other psrts if I find something else when I go and do an inspection before I buy…

what I am asking,,,,since it is quite a few years old,, is there still parts support?

31 minutes ago, SteveCullis said:

Ok, thanks,two answers for 1997. I see 97 in the serial number.

so are parts available to freshen up the top end? Or other psrts if I find something else when I go and do an inspection before I buy…

what I am asking,,,,since it is quite a few years old,, is there still parts support?

First off we have no idea what part of the world you live in so your availability to procure old gasgas parts is difficult to predict.

Your front disc brake has 2 pistons, after Y2K 4 piston brakes became the industry standard and 4 pots offer noticeably better performance.

Top end is part of it but from what I've seen with gasgas over the years, the main bearing seals are another item that may well require replacement.

As previously; how easy does the bike cold or hot start?  <- That is possibly the most important indicator of the bikes current health and worth.

Most parts are out there, they are not getting any easier to find. Some parts are shared with other bikes or common bearings/seals to other things. Compression should be around 150psi.

If you are worried about finding a piston for it call around and see if there are pistons available for it. I suspect a piston will be one of the easiest parts to find, plastics may be some of the harder stuff to source.

Few years ago I had an 02 edition, always found what I needed eventually, sometimes a bit pricey. It's more of a hobby once you're chasing parts.

BTW I think that's a good looking bike, I like the frame and the graphics!

“ finding a piston for it call around and see”

ok, I will be more direct. Where does a person call around for parts fitting older Gasgas bikes. I am concerned about mechanical parts affecting functionality way more than plastics. 
I am very seriously considering on buying this machine, but have reservations about being able to keep it up, especially if spares of critical parts are scarce.

Quite frankly, the 270 engine size seems to NOT be a popular size, making it an oddball?.. I don’t know,,,

those who know tell me.

No one here knows where you live or who your local trials supply store is. Might be a good place to start. Ask in your local trials community. I’ve found ordering parts overseas to be sometimes necessary.

A 30 second google search shows at least 1 option. https://www.thehellteam.com/piston-assy

Relying solely on random internet users to do your research for you probably isn’t a great idea if you’re going to get into maintaining an older bike. 

13 hours ago, apriljo said:

No one here knows where you live or who your local trials supply store is. Might be a good place to start. Ask in your local trials community. I’ve found ordering parts overseas to be sometimes necessary.

A 30 second google search shows at least 1 option. https://www.thehellteam.com/piston-assy

Relying solely on random internet users to do your research for you probably isn’t a great idea if you’re going to get into maintaining an older bike. 

Some of the best service/parts availability/prices and shipping times have been from across seas, (guess that's where Gassers come from). From Europe to Canada in under a week a bunch of times, lots of times I can't get stuff shipped within this country that fast.

18 hours ago, SteveCullis said:

“ finding a piston for it call around and see”

ok, I will be more direct. Where does a person call around for parts fitting older Gasgas bikes. I am concerned about mechanical parts affecting functionality way more than plastics. 
I am very seriously considering on buying this machine, but have reservations about being able to keep it up, especially if spares of critical parts are scarce.

Quite frankly, the 270 engine size seems to NOT be a popular size, making it an oddball?.. I don’t know,,,

those who know tell me.

I am also more concerned about mechanical parts than plastic, but it does become quite a bummer when fenders and such things consist more of zip ties than original plastic and your pristinely maintained scoot looks and deep in your mind feels like a pile of **** because a 30$ part is made of unobtainium. Kinda looks like the dogs breakfast when the plastics that you can get have much different decals and colours as well, no need to ask me how I know.

Have never ridden a 270, I quite like my 280 and definitely would not trade it for a 250 or 300.

*Huh, this website blanks out the S word with *s* Gonna have to be more creative in the future!

Edited by Glayne