2021 TXT 280 , fly wheel weight to soften power delivery ?

cadarnvice

just after some advice from fellow Gas Gas owners. 

i've picked up a 2021 txt 280. really enjoying the bike, but the power does feel pretty sharp which is taking some getting used to. (previous bike was a Jotagas 300 which was like a tractor)

i've ridden it totally standard for the last couple of months, but in a sloppy wet trial on the weekend , i felt like i was struggling for grip in places where i usually wouldn't have with the jotagas. 

still getting used to the bike/tires etc, so not bashing the bike, i love it. just want some opinions on if fitting a fly wheel weight would calm it down a bit on the power delivery ?

also, if fitting a weight , will the gear lever still fit if the casing is spaced out ?

cheers for reading and appreciate the advice.

11 minutes ago, lemur said:

You running in second gear?  Cog it up to third, steady the throttle and abuse the clutch, that will calm down the power delivery.

first mostly , and sometimes second when i need a bit of a boost. 

will defo try 2nd and 3rd more next time out. 

OMG there is your problem right there, 1st. gear is near useless for a light weight rider, gear up and keep the idle set on the high side.  Embrace the power that engine has down low and set the carb lean enough to run at low speed and not rich out.

Im going to disagree with lemur a little. Depends on your terrain afterall, yes if its wet you could try 3rd more. The 6 speed box does allow for a relatively low 3rd. For general riding however, 3rd and using more clutch is not the cure, its just going to introduce more problems. The beauty of the gasgas gearbox IMO is the close gearing, with higher 1st. If its dry and im not blasting up hills, 90% of the time im in first. It slows my riding down, yet still allows sufficient power for small to medium steps.

280s are just like that, they are sharp, always have been, sharper than the 300 below 1/4 throttle. Theres a reason colley used to ride one indoors. I only know 2 guys in our club who ride 280s, and theyve both fitted flywheel weights. I dont know why gg still make them, 250 for clubmen, 300 for experts. Who exactly is the 280 marketed for? The gear lever still fits but you have to slide it off the splines a little.

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

Cheers Faussy, appreciate your input.  

i've been chatting to a few local riders recently, and its a mixed opinion on the fly wheel weight. some riders love them , others don't ! i guess its a case of trying and finding out what works for me and my style of riding. 

the 280 does seem like a odd one in the middle. i basically got it as it was in A1 condition and only done 3 tanks of fuel from new. i'll persevere as the bike is really fun to ride. 

I ride a 300 with no fww, while some do, its personal preference. It sounds to me like you would appreciate the change it would have. Worth asking some gasgas riders if they have one on their shelf to try out (most do) as it would be a 10 minute fit before a trial starts (no need to remove the flywheel).

Have you got it on the rain ignition setting btw? I find the difference between maps virtually indistinguibale though

Edited by faussy

2 hours ago, faussy said:

... Depends on your terrain afterall, yes if its wet you could try 3rd more....

Glaciers were kind to us, terrain here is severe, steep hills, exposed granite and calcite with thick peat topsoil and moss covering, no natural sand or gravel, trees, beaver swamps, small lakes and endless trials sections.  When it's wet which is often your errors and fails increase exponentially.   Easier to show you 😎

When I had the 280 I dropped a tooth on the front and rode up a gear a lot. Eventually you'll get used to people telling you that you're riding in the wrong gear for things (how would they know about your specific gearing?) and you'll miss the pep when you try other bikes. As you've noticed, the 280 is particularly peppy compared to the 300. I think like others have said the main cause is likely the flywheel.

Just now, lemur said:

:) By watching you ride and listening to your engine.

... riding here today if you get bored 

In my experience most (not all) people giving advice just assume all bikes are like theirs. :)

I wish! Working today. I'm taking donations to help with my retirement plan. 🤣

I also ride a Gasser 280, I would not bother with a flywheel weight as I do like the sharp delivery for some scenarios, that is my favorite attribute of the 280, also I don't want to be trying to slow down any extra engine inertia. If I was to change the gearing I would probably drop a few teeth in the back to give a little more range in the lower gears which would also smooth things out a bit while still being able to spool up quick.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just installed a flywheel weight on my 2023 TXT300. I would say it takes the knife's edge off the power delivery, but it's still pretty strong.  It helps make the bike more stall proof.  With the flywheel weight, spacer, and cover installed, I had to move the shift lever outward 1/4" on the spline to clear the case cover.  Ideally, someone would offer an extended shift lever.

17079517232932025352052719659171.jpg

Edited by Scottro