2023 Gas Gas TXT 300

Butch

• 4 weeks later...

On 9/18/2023 at 6:23 AM, lemur said:

Bike is too new to have starting problems,  I'd be making a trip back to the dealer to sort out the start issues while they still have some responsibility.

The manual calls for 98 octane fuel, I'd be concerned running 90 octane with 67:1 oil mixed, your resulting octane rating will be even lower yet as the premix oil lowers the octane.  Myself I mix race fuel with pump gas to achieve a fuel octane rating that is very close to the manuals recommendation.  

You aren't bring the engine up on TDC to start, you actually just want it to come up on compression.  

Laying the bike on the side has no logic on a carburetor equipped engine, all that will do is mess up the fuel level in the float bowl.  

I realize this post is getting old but there’s some information sharing that’s not quite correct regarding gasoline octane ratings. I have a 2023 Gasgas 250 TXT and had the same starting problem but I fixed it with some help on this forum from another owner. The solution had nothing to do with octane but a technique I learned. Yes, the manual states to use 98 octane but that’s in the European RON standard. Their 98 octane is our 93 in the States. Don’t take my word for it though. Look it up for yourself. There’s no need to run race gas or buy octane boosters. Just buy premium or supreme gas and you’ll be fine.

AMERICAN VS EUROPEAN FUELS – OCTANE RATING https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the link.  I got some links from another forum or FB page.  I cross referenced part numbers and I believe this is the same item for a few bucks less.  https://www.trialstoreusa.com/flywheel-weight-trial/.  I'll know in a week or so, because I ordered it.    

I'm running 90 octane ethanol free gas in my bike and everything's fine.  The method I use to start the bike from BDC came by suggestion from other forum members. For me, it works great.   I think the bikes geometry, high compression, Bart Simpson gear, and rider athleticism and experience are a bit of a perfect storm for hard starting until the starting process is learned.   But once you know, you know.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This is probably a newbie oriented post that might irk the purists, but I've made some progress on my Txt300 mountain goat.  I've got it geared down and added a flywheel weight and slow throttle so I can plonk along trails at a walking pace. And I'm experimenting with mounting a seat.  It's working pretty well so far, and is comfy and solid. But it needs some final finishing cosmetic touches and proper support for the mid section.  

71909090400875115491707348940945.jpg

• Like 1

Hey there Scottro! How ya been? I'm doing much better. Gaining strength back and just found out I'm cancer free. I will never talk again but I'm alive to ride my Gasser! I like that seat. Did you fabricate that? Looks good and I can imagine it's comfortable. I bought a Jitsie seat for mine. I also have the slow throttle. Can you please share with me what sprockets you installed and also what chain? Did you have to change the chain guide? And please can you give me a part number for the flywheel weight? Id appreciate it so much. Message me if you prefer. I bought an S3 low compression head and insert but haven't installed it yet. Bob suggested not installing it until I see that I can continue to start it. I missed the forum. I just wasn't feeling well for awhile. I dropped down to 113 pounds and really thought my riding days were behind me there for awhile. But I gained some weight. I'm 123 now and lifting weights religiously. I can start the bike now but only using the technique we discussed. And standing up on the bike with it leaning against something. That's the only way. Feels good to be back. I keep in touch with Bob. He's happy I start the bike now. I was reading some back posts that I missed and your right about the octane in European countries. Their 98 is our 92 I think I read. I'm running Sheetz or Rutters non ethanol 90 octane 70:1 with Motorex oil. It's a tad rich and I might take it to 80:1 after putting more time on the motor. My bike hasn't been run for a quite a while because of the weather. I didn't drain the tank or carburetor. Being that it's non ethanol gas do you think it will be okay until better weather? I had a heck of a time with a quad that sat with E10 gas for a few years and it was a nightmare. Had to replace the fuel pump, tear the whole machine apart just to get to the carb. Total nightmare and I don't want to go through that with my bike. I hope the non ethanol gas won't cause problems from sitting. Captain Bob rode my bike back before Christmas and he came the whole way up here to see me. Great guy! Really nice people him and his wife. He's planning to come up here to ride this season and could you be able to go too? That would be cool. Really good friend. He said my bike runs great. He liked it a lot and must have started it 15 times that day no problem. Talk later buddy 

• Like 2

Hey Butch!  Glad to hear you're up and about and getting the bike started.  We should probably start a newbie thread in some general forum area and not clutter this thread with our chatter.  Yes. You, me and Bob should try for a meetup and ride this summer.  I'll pm you the parts list.

Edited by Scottro
Ocd
  • Like 1

We don't want to annoy the purists! It's not hard to do here! Glad you started the new post and proud to be a clueless newbie 😅 I like how the title states surviving lol. More like surviving starting the dang thing lol. Well anyway this was a good idea. 

• 1 month later...

I have a similar starting issue. I own a 2023 Gasgas 300 GP. I purchased it in December of 2023. On sale in USA for a great price.  I’m 150 pounds 5 foot 9 and 66 years old. My bike starts but takes a lot of energy. Leaning against a tree helps big time. I run about 100 octane gas. A trick I just learned was to put in first gear, rock it backwards till it stops then pull the clutch in and kick. seems to start first kick every time without leaning on something..I just ordered s3 head with the low compression insert. Hopefully that will make the kick easier. I will post how it works. I was also considering putting a 250 piston and cylinder on it. I recently started 2 different 2023 gasgas 250 GPs and they were easy to start. It’s the compression that makes it hard.

16 minutes ago, Nedly said:

I have a similar starting issue. I own a 2023 Gasgas 300 GP. I purchased it in December of 2023. On sale in USA for a great price.  I’m 150 pounds 5 foot 9 and 66 years old. My bike starts but takes a lot of energy. Leaning against a tree helps big time. I run about 100 octane gas. A trick I just learned was to put in first gear, rock it backwards till it stops then pull the clutch in and kick. seems to start first kick every time without leaning on something..I just ordered s3 head with the low compression insert. Hopefully that will make the kick easier. I will post how it works. I was also considering putting a 250 piston and cylinder on it. I recently started 2 different 2023 gasgas 250 GPs and they were easy to start. It’s the compression that makes it hard.

We have all been there.  The roll back method works every time.  I can start my 2023  flatfooted but only when it is warm and... not all the time.  That 300 does take a serious kick to start on the compression stroke.  I am also an older guy (a bit older than you) and am hoping as It gets ridden more, it will eventually soften up a bit.  I am interested in how the low compression head works for you.  I am not interested in doing that to my bike but am curious what you think after you have it installed.  For example, any loss of power?