2023 Gas Gas TXT 300

Butch

That's a good possibility Scottro. I've been doing a lot of research and they changed something on the kick start machanism for 2023. The videos talk about that. They say it's easier to start for 2023. I guess the pawl was breaking and something is different now. Still hard to start! Maybe more durable now? I think your right the geometry and shape and lengths of the lever is a perfect Storm of making it difficult to start. I agree we got a new lawn mower last year and it starts first pull every time. I'm just a 2 stroke guy. I like them. Simple to rebuild. I had a Honda XR that was 4 stroke years ago and I had to do a rebuild. Bike was given to me it didn't run. I did a complete teardown. Had to buy a motion pro case separator and man when I split those case halves the whole transmission cluster fell out on the bench. I had no idea how all that stuff went back together. I had a repair manual but it didn't have a detailed picture of the gears. I had to go to Cernics Honda Suzuki and they printed out a big paper from the computer and had to tape it together. Micro films I think they called it. I also remember the valves not being any fun at all too. 2 strokes are way easier.

I got out today and practiced the roll back starting method.  'works very well.  With boots on, I can get it started in 2-3 kicks.  Also, I got the chain installed and properly tensioned for the 48 tooth rear sprocket I installed.  I'm running a tooth or 2 smaller up front and 9-10 larger in the back.  Throttle response is still very strong, but speed is much more small backyard friendly. I'm accelerating from 0-10 mph in first gear instead of 0-20.  Makes a difference in a smaller yard with stockade fence all around and a couple parked cars to avoid. Lol. I think I'd like a stiffer throttle return spring while I'm learning, but I'll survive this one.  I can comfortably putt putt around the yard in first gear  at a walking pace without being constantly on the clutch and brakes.  I still have a lot more gears if I wanna go fast.

Edited by Scottro
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Scottro said:

I got out today and practiced the roll back starting method.  'works very well.  With boots on, I can get it started in 2-3 kicks.  Also, I got the chain installed and properly tensioned for the 48 tooth rear sprocket I installed.  I'm running a tooth or 2 smaller up front and 9-10 larger in the back.  Throttle response is still very strong, but speed is much more small backyard friendly. I'm accelerating from 0-10 mph in first gear instead of 0-20.  Makes a difference in a smaller yard with stockade fence all around and a couple parked cars to avoid. Lol. I think I'd like a stiffer throttle return spring while I'm learning, but I'll survive this one.  I can comfortably putt putt around the yard in first gear  at a walking pace without being constantly on the clutch and brakes.  I still have a lot more gears if I wanna go fast.

Great!  Glad you find the starting technique working for you.  Remember, do not use throttle when starting either a cold or warm engine.  I started my cold engine up yesterday with just one kick.  When cold, use the choke.  When warm, do not use the choke.  Interesting about the sprocket changes.  With that gearing you have, you must have instant power at your wrist.  That thing must be a wheelie monster.  😮  Scottro, I do not recall, are you riding a 23 300 TXT?

• Like 1

I'm not certain how many folks who compete in trials change gearing.  Someone with experience can maybe chime in.   There are enough to support aftermarket sprocket sales at a small level anyhow.  I personally  wouldn't attempt many sections I've seen at local vintage trials going much faster than a slow putt. I'm just not that good at it. Lol.

But I'm not intending to compete in trials anytime soon.  I really just wanted a very lightweight and nimble  bike for tight woods and slow trail riding.   The end of summer pricing kind of drove the decision too.

'll be installing a seat next.   And if I like the end result enough, I might dual sport it so I can legally get between trails.     I'm going a similar route (from the opposite direction ) with a KX112.  Ive added tall seat, tall bars, lower pegs, heavy flywheel, quieter muffler with spark arrestor, and will be adding  street parts and plating it.  The KX is for faster trails.  It's not backyard friendly at all.  Lol 

It's a bit of an obsession.  Lol  I like light weight bikes with good power, and farting around modding them to suit specific "needs" is fun.

Edited by Scottro
Ocd
  • Like 1

Hi guys! Been out of commission for a few days but I'm back. My Dad ended up in the hospital and I really haven't had a chance to try that technique yet. I'm going to get to my garage more this week and hopefully tell you guys I figured it out. That's going to be a fun message to send lol. I might have told you guys that I bought a Jitsie seat and Domino slow action throttle. I haven't had a chance to install them yet. Man I can't wait till things settle down. I need some garage time. I want to play around with this bike. Scottro I saw a video about the Beta 300 being geared way different than the Gas Gas 300. The guy said the beta is way lower. Captain Bob. I bought this bike for the same exact reason you did. I just don't want a big fast bike anymore. Slow, light, easy to maneuver in tight woods because that's all we have here. Scottro can agree with that. I'm never going to compete. I don't even think there are any events closer than Montoursville PA. That's a good hike from me to try to complete. I'm not going to be that good. It's just for fun and something to look forward to and think about. I can't wait to try that technique. As far as gearing goes, I've read about a lot of people gearing these bikes down. Front sprocket smaller, rear sprocket bigger. I also read that dropping 2 teeth on the front sprocket helps a lot too. Hey, I'm enjoying this conversation with you guys. Let's keep it going 

I would put a bunch of hours on it before thinking of changing sprockets. 1st is already very low, as is 2nd and 3rd, I would not want the spread between 1st and 4th any tighter. If you need to go slower than 1st, slip the clutch, that is what it is designed for.

• Thanks 1

It depends on your goal really.  I want to putt around in the yard or woods at walking speed and not need to slip the clutch constantly. I've got other bikes I need to do that with.  And sprocket/ chain changes are fairly cheap and easily reversible.  My bike is a lot more backyard friendly with the gearing change.  Maybe I'll dislike the gearing when I get into more open terrain.  At that time, it'll only take 1/2 hr max to swap back.  I don't think the new chain and sprockets set me back much more than $100. And I get to enjoy my $7k bike a lot more.   

I agree that you should try the bike first tho.   I didn't need too many hours to know it was geared higher than I wanted  for the back yard.

Edited by Scottro
  • Like 2

I'm just going to leave it where it is for now. I never really considered that but Scottro likes his that way. I'm just going to be happy to get on the darn thing and start putting some hours on it. I'm planning on doing static balance practice in the garage over the winter. Right now I'm good for about 3 seconds before putting a foot down lol. Winter I'm going to work on that a lot.

• Like 2

Hey Butch.   If you haven't looked hard at your bike much, almost every maintenance task requires Torx bits.  I rarely used Torx bits in the past and bought  a better, more complete set than my old Harbor Freight jobbies.  Lol

• Like 1

I noticed that Scottro. Your right almost everything is Torx. I have a small rail of Craftsman but mostly Harbor Freight bits. I had the craziest time trying to get the fender off! I wanted to check the air filter to make sure it's oiled. I've bought a Honda years ago and the filter was dry. I guess dealer prep forgot that lol. But yes the Gasser filter is ready to go. I took the one Torx screw out and couldn't figure out what was still holding it on. Then the good ole owners manual showed those 4 holes that snap in. It's actually pretty cool how they do that. I just hope the tabs don't eventually break off. I want to double check my shock settings yet too. Not sure where it is from the dealership and factory. I already did the forks. Fun bike to work on compared to others I've owned 

Yes big flat surface. I'm sure I will give it a workout trying to go over logs and rocks eventually!; I  have one of those lift stands. A hydraulic one. It's a bottle jack with a scissors lift and it goes up to 3 feet. You can clamp the bike down onto it for safety. I never had this bike up on it yet. It's rated for 300 pounds though and our gassers are what? 150 pounds I believe. It's about 2" higher than the skid plate so I will still have to get the bike up on it. I think it's actually designed for enduros so my trials bike is overkill. Nice though